7.5" Bisley 44 Special Flattop?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I just saw one!

I didn't know they existed and I can't find reference to it on Lipsey's or Talo's website. Who had it made??

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Arokcrwlr,

These were commissioned by The Shootists. There were supposed to be 100 made with special serial number by Ruger and special markings/engraving by Baron. My understanding is that when Baron received the first 92 of them, they realized that the serial number wasn't the special s/n. Ruger replaced them with 92 guns with the correct s/n and ended up with an excess of 92 guns.

These guns were sold to, and received by, Lipsey's last week and were sold out in 2 hours.

They should be out there available to the public now. Get 'em while you can, they ain't making them any more.

BB45C

Axehandle

Buckeye
The Shootists guns have unique serial numbers. These 92 guns should fall in the normal 520-XXXXX serial numbering sequence of the FT 44s... We will have numbers and pics to share soon...

ewayte

Bearcat
My dealer called Lipsey's this afternoon and the last one should be on its way to me tomorrow!

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I got mine for under $500 before shipping, but I have seen them for $600+.

If these don't become a cataloged item, I'd be surprised if they don't get up there with the other hard to find Bisleys (41mag, SS 44mag, etc.)

bigbore45colt

Hunter
It is my understanding that Ruger has not done well with Bisleys in general so I highly doubt that these will become a catalogued item but who knows.

I think the gun is worth well above $600. There are only 92 of these. That's less than the 100 Shootist guns that were produced, so the "error" guns are actually scarcer...

I'm sure some of us will be able to get them for less than $500 but, in my opinion, that has nothing to do with retail value.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

VonFatman

Blackhawk
Makes sense to me. I paid $465/ea (plus tax) for the two .44 Specials
(4- 5/8" & 5.5") I purchased when they first were introduced through Lipsey's.

So I guess $500 (plus tax) would not bother me too much for this gun...but I'm not counting on any serious "appreciation" as every time it's suggested a gun may be "unusual", sure 'nuf, Ruger runs out an extra thousand or two!!

Bob

Axehandle

Buckeye
While there might be some fun in grabbing some hot items when they first come out the value over time is pretty much a crap shoot isn't it? My most prized limited run guns are the ones that I traded for with no knowledge of what they might mean to a collector...

bigbore45colt

Hunter
But Axe, just because you got it without any knowledge to what it might mean to a collector, or obviously to the seller, doesn't meant that it doesn't have a significantly higher value... It's great that you got them and later found out what they were worth...it's always a nice surprise.

Similarly, just because I pay $325 for a gun that is worth $1000 doesn't mean that the next time someone asks what is it worth, I jump up and say "well I got mine for $325 so that's what it worth"...it doesn't matter what I paid for it, what matters is what the market value of something is.

Take a the Shootists Bisley 22s for example...there were only 52 of them and they routinely sell for well over $2000...

When you look at what the regular Bisley 44 specials are selling for ($550-$600), with a limited run of 500 or so each, and then you look at this gun, with only 92 of them, it makes sense (to me at least) that it should be worth just about as much.

I fully agree with you, however, that future (long term...years/decades from now) value is a crap shoot, but I think we can put a pretty good value on them today.

Just my $0.02.

BTW - I got my first one today, here are a few quick pictures...

388329629.jpg

388329646.jpg

I pick up my other one this weekend, along with a VERY unique 4 5/8" 44 Special Bisley flat-top (more details to follow ;D )

BB45C

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
bigbore I agree with what you're saying - it makes sense and history backs it up.

I mentioned what i paid because you can still get them for a reasonable price - at least until everyone figures out what they are.

BTW, here's a couple of pics of mine...

2594814930055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

2336981170055011840S600x600Q85.jpg

JCW64

Single-Sixer
I bought one today and it has the dark gray laminate grips. Not sure why some are gray and some reddish brown, but I noticed that the Lipseys
4 5/8" and the 5 1/2" models have both also. I've also noticed a span of 151 guns already on these. There are a couple of consecutive pairs on GB now also,one pair with brown grips the other pair gray.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Nice stuff there guys... :D

Yo bigbore45colt... If I were a betting man I'd bet you have snagged one of the (word is 20) of the duplicate serial number 4 5/8 Bisleys.... :wink: