Value of a "Refurbished" Type 1 Flatop Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

americal

Hunter
Walter Rego said:
Here's a decent 1959 Flattop. By serial # it was one of the last dozen or so frames from the old Red Barn location although Ruger records show a Feb. 1959 ship date. I paid $500 plus tax & background fees as it was on consignment at a retail gun shop. It had a pair of Jay Scott stocks on it which I sold for about 1/2 of what the original pair that replaced them cost me. It has not been converted, and most of what looks like blue wear is reflection. I'm in CA and any old 3 screw Ruger commands a premium now as they can't be imported into the state, the only way to buy one is a private party transfer. Even here I don't think a refinished Flattop would sell for much more than $500.

Ruger357MagnumBlackhawkFlattop.jpg
I like the looks of that flattop 8)A little ware but not much :) The plum gate does it for me :lol:

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
From the CA DOJ website:
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Here are the particulars regarding single actions:
The requirements for handguns to pass safety and functionality tests and to be listed in the Department of Justice's official list of handguns certified as safe for sale in California do not apply to transactions involving the following:

• Single-action revolvers with at least a five-cartridge capacity, a barrel length of not less than three inches, and either:
(a) were originally manufactured prior to 1900 and are curios or relics, as defined in Section 178.11
of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations; or
(b) have an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. (Penal Code § 12133.)

And if they are C&R's:
Sales, loans, or transfers of firearms listed as curios or relics, as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (Penal Code §§ 12132(c) and (g).)

So, jussbad, I stand corrected regarding Ruger Single Actions. I will suggest that anyone wanting to import a model in question refer to the CA DOJ website and not take something that was posted on a forum as fact until you check it yourself.

jussbad said:
Where did you get the information regarding your comment on shipping into CA.? Untrue statement as Single Actions Revolvers are exempt and CAN be "imported" shipped into the state. Please don't give everyone here on the Forum that is anti-California more reason or thought not to ship perfectly legal guns into this state. Thank You. This post is not meant to be a "flame" on you but you need the facts before typing this as I said it just feeds the no ship to CA scare that abounds from some members.

street

Hunter
Walter Rego said:
From the CA DOJ website:
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Here are the particulars regarding single actions:
The requirements for handguns to pass safety and functionality tests and to be listed in the Department of Justice's official list of handguns certified as safe for sale in California do not apply to transactions involving the following:

• Single-action revolvers with at least a five-cartridge capacity, a barrel length of not less than three inches, and either:
(a) were originally manufactured prior to 1900 and are curios or relics, as defined in Section 178.11
of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations; or
(b) have an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. (Penal Code § 12133.)

And if they are C&R's:
Sales, loans, or transfers of firearms listed as curios or relics, as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations. (Penal Code §§ 12132(c) and (g).)

So, jussbad, I stand corrected regarding Ruger Single Actions. I will suggest that anyone wanting to import a model in question refer to the CA DOJ website and not take something that was posted on a forum as fact until you check it yourself.

jussbad said:
Where did you get the information regarding your comment on shipping into CA.? Untrue statement as Single Actions Revolvers are exempt and CAN be "imported" shipped into the state. Please don't give everyone here on the Forum that is anti-California more reason or thought not to ship perfectly legal guns into this state. Thank You. This post is not meant to be a "flame" on you but you need the facts before typing this as I said it just feeds the no ship to CA scare that abounds from some members.

Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Isn't a Ruger Flattop considered a curio/relic?

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
Yes, the .357 & .44 Blackhawk Flattops are C&R's as are the early Single Six flatgates and those made prior to 1961. From page 26 of the ATF C&R Firearms Curio or Relics List:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-11/atf-p-5300-11.pdf

Ruger, flattop, "Blackhawk" revolvers, cals. .44 Magnum and .357 magnum, all barrel lengths, made from 1955 through 1962.
Ruger, flattop, single-six, .22 cal. revolvers with flat side loading gate, all barrel lengths, made from 1953 through 1956.

Also, any firearm at least 50 years old also qualifies as a C&R.

flatgate

Hawkeye
FWIW,

I've noted some discrepancies on that BATFE "C&R" list with respect to
Ruger firearms.
Do your homework prior to counting on "C&R" status.

flatgate

PAPA-T

Bearcat
Am curious about the comments about jeweled hammers, never seen or heard of one myself being new to this site. has anyone got a picture of one?

PAPA-T

Bearcat
Hmm, does kind of stand out doesn't it. Would go nice with a set of Mother of Pearl Grips which I happen to have. But I took them off in favor of the original walnut grips. Just a matter of taste and I really don't like anything on a weapon that advertises itself. Makes concealed carry a little more difficult and in my mind anything shiney could potentialy be a target or at least a warning that you are armed and where you are. Pretty though! And some people do like to display their pretty or handsome weapons at home. I have some handsome long guns on my wall myself. Like I said, just a matter of taste and while attractive its just not me. Thanks for the picture though!