Pistols & Revolvers Updated Addendum!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
The 12/10/08 Updated Addendum can be downloaded as a Microsoft Word Document so you can easily print it out. The Document can be found
HERE. Right Click and "Save As....."

You should end up with the Document on your computer.
NOTE.........IT APPEARS THAT THE LINK IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. IT OCCURRED SOME 8+ YEARS AGO............IF ONE OF YOU HAS A CONTACT NUMBER FOR MR DOUGAN, ASK IF IT IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE........SPLITZ

Friends, I received a note from John Dougan concerning the errors present in his new book. I'll post it here for your reading.

Good morning Carl,

In an effort to address some things in the text of Ruger Pistols & Revolvers, I am in the process of preparing an Addendum. Any author or publisher will tell you that, predictably, "Murphy's Law dictates that no matter how carefully one edits a proof copy or how many editors look at it, mistakes will always manifest themselves in the printed copy", of course, then it's too late to correct.

In any event, there are not very many mistakes for a book of this scale, mostly typographic errors of which some are serial numbers that are placed in the text, which completely misleads the reader. The proposed Addendum will be 2-3 pages, including an expanded narrative and charts relating to Ross Guns. Also, an interesting chart on ivory and stag data from the Ruger accounts payable records.

What I would like to do is post the Addendum on the RCA web-site and the RugerForum in a downloadable format so the guys can retrieve the data and place it in the back of their books. I will also enclose a copy in the RCA JOURNAL. Chad may wish to enclose it in RENE, which is up to him, I don't have a problem with it.

Also, the Brass Frame serial number lists were taken from the inspection sheets, and due to the fact that some sheets are missing, the lists are incomplete. After 1968 the numbers and model are identified in the day book computer spread sheets; it didn't occur to me to cross reference the inspection sheets with the day book listings for accuracy. In the near future I will expand the Brass Gun lists. Also, at some point I will research data regarding BKH40, BKH47, BKH30, and S46. The only place they are listed at this point is on the shipping invoices; it will take time to review, perhaps as many as 10,000 invoices but, I can count them and list the numbers.

You may wish to post this note on the Forum to let everyone know that we are aware of certain flaws that are significant and we are working to identify them in an Addendum. Please let me know your thoughts on this matter.

Regards, John

Sincerely,

flatgate

street

Hunter
I had the chance to meet Mr. Dougan in Tulsa. The impression that I got of him from this short meeting was one of respect for him. We had a very good talk on Rugers, discussing a few choice stories on how we acquired some of our rare guns, and of course how we let a few good ones get away. When he left, my impression of him, as I said before, was one of respect. What he is about to do to correct the errors in his book does not change my opinion of him at all. He is a class act!!!!

If you ever get a chance to meet him. I am sure it will be a pleasent experience.

Street

PS Get him to tell you the story about the original owner of the 15 in. Flattop getting mad and not selling it. It's a funny story!!!

chet15

Hawkeye
I agree to that wholeheartedly. Before John jumps at this, he should know the full extent of what has happened. I have recently completed my reading and have made quite a few notes, but you are right...there are things there that I'm not sure the author is willing to accept as incorrect. But I will begin a correspondence with him.
I am planning for the review in the February RENE.
Chet15

It's worth noting here that we live in an age where this addendum can be posted to RugerForum and the RCA websites for immediate use by everyone, and to the RENE for those who subscribe there. This is a marvelous improvement in communication.

This will allow Mr. Dougan the opportunity to cover the bases with corrections and updated information as soon as it's ready, and not require the extensive/expensive proposition of doing a hard-copy addendum that could take several months to accomplish.

Thanks to all involved.

:D

++1 Yeah, little things like the s/ns & ship date of the first month production Single Sixes, the s/n & inspect date of the 62 Super Polished low number .357 FTs, Salt Cod box Autos by s/n, etc, etc. Extremely valuable information for collectors, I'm loving it!
FT44

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
In this arena of Rugers, writing a book and having it published is a very difficult thing to do! It's not done for $$, because very little is ever realized by the author. More $ will be made by collectors who have the knowledge in this book by being able to act rapidly on acquisitions from a seller without the knowledge than will ever be made by the writer.
The Wilson book may be an exception, as so many have been printed.
Even so, I was seeing the 1st Editions of RUGER & His Guns in Sam's and Book Discount Stores at less than $20 right after it came out!
Just my nickels worth!
ENU

chet15

Hawkeye
Not to be too picky here, but I see at least a couple of errors in the Addendum also.

1. It really is "HECHO EN MEXICO".
2. Lightweight Single-Sixes really were (probably) first shipped in December 1955 (although I don't have the info for that one or few guns). Since advertising did not begin until several months later in 1956, I suspect this first gun (or first few guns) were sent to writers of various publications. JD says in his 1953 to 1963 book that the first Lightweight to leave the factory was serial number 200005 and shipped in December 1955 (which I do believe). The #5's were also WBR, JR's but don't know if he got this gun or not (would have made a great X-mas present!!).
Most of the Tri-color Lightweights were all mfg. and shipped during 1956, with the first commercial shipments happening about April 1956, including other "subscriber's" guns in April.

Will there be an addendum to the addendum?

Chet15

chips

Bearcat
As a novice to Rugers I am fasinated by the extent of WBR (bill) his engineering and market awarness is outstanding, to lodge so many patents was truly astonishing especialy when one understands the era that he worked in. The book gives an insight to a great man.
The only real issue I now have is I wish to purchase so many of his beautiful hand pieces

jmfc606

Single-Sixer
Before I was a regular here I thought I knew a little something about Rugers. I was right, I knew LITTLE! I bought this book, subscribed to RENE, and will be looking for more books. I'd like to get the Number 1 book next. I know some books are collectibles but i'm just looking for "readers". I can't afford to spend a fortune on collectible books. If anybody can point me in the right direction for any "required Ruger reading" I'd appreciate it. If there is a list of books and authors somewhere I would love to see it. I'll probably try my local library first.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

flatgate

Hawkeye
328772165.jpg

61168995.jpg

61168988.jpg

61168983.jpg

There's a few of the examples I have.

flatgate

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Joe,

The #1 book by Clayton was recently re-published earlier this year, in softcover, so it is quite easy to find. Contact forum member ElNumeroUno and he can probably get you one pretty quickly. The hardcover books have long been out of print and are quite scarce.

I have a number of these books for sale in the classifieds. If you're interested, drop me an email and I can work you up a very good package deal.

BB45C