Conundrum - Dad's very early OM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boomer

Single-Sixer
Conundrum - that's a fun word which seems to fit here...

As some forum members might have noticed, I'm selling firearms bought new but seldom (if ever) fired. This one is quite different and the only one not registered to me. That being since my late dad purchased it new in 1955 when I was a young kid. I was with him that day and (oddly) remember that interesting store even now. My "conundrum" as an aging baby boomer with no heirs is how best to ensure it ends up with an appreciative collector. Here in AZ, firearms can and are legally sold on private party basis without transfer documentation. My worst fear is that this rare SS will be sold at estate auction after I'm gone. Thankfully, I'm in reasonably good health but as is said; "time (and tide) waits for no man".

Pictures taken and posted here some years ago remain representative of condition, with (non-OEM) Sambar stag grips dating back to purchase in 1955 as well as the original Clark western-style holster. Yes, some slight holster wear (mostly at hammer from years of contact with the leather retention strap) but in otherwise excellent overall condition with original receipt, user manual and warranty card never submitted. Clearly, its unconverted. It's my belief that there are few (if any) OM SS with such low serial number plus same family ownership provenance out there. Yes I'm ready to "re-home it", but very cautiously. Comments are welcomed...

367330991.jpg

367331426.jpg

367331522.jpg

367331464.jpg

367331504.jpg

363295235.jpg

David LaPell

Blackhawk
That reminds me of a Colt Frontier Scout a man who was friends with my grandfather had. He had no kids, and when he died, his wife unloaded his 180 plus gun collection. I remember seeing that Colt in a case at a local gun shop, and I couldn't afford it or I would have bought it. This man's collection was scattered to the four winds.
Sadly, having heirs doesn't mean as much as you would think. I used to work years ago helping a friend of mine at the local gun shows, and I saw time and time again, guns left by relatives peddled off by ungrateful relatives for whatever money they could get. These were not people who were simply left the guns and didn't hunt or were not into guns per se, these were people who could absolutely care less that they didn't get money and as soon as possible unloaded the guns they inherited like it was nuclear waste.
I would hope the gun goes to a good home, but these days, with the younger generation being more interested in nothing but beeping screens and computer games, we're watching our traditions and customs, even when it comes to passing things down, vanishing before our eyes.
I hope you find a good home for the Ruger to go to. I had a couple of Single Six revolvers, and I have my grandfather's Colt Woodsman pistol, I plan on holding onto that gun until my very end.

contender

Ruger Guru
A very nice gun. Do you still have the original box with those papers listed? That makes a difference. Do you still have the original grips?
A 5 digit gun is nice,, but it takes them being in the 1, 2 or 3 digit to demand a bigger premium.

Boomer

Single-Sixer
Thanks for comments so far!

Yes, agreed what often happens with heirlooms acquired by "heirs" with no appreciation other than how many resulting $$ in pocket.

No original box nor grips (fairly certain dad bought this SS with Sambars installed), however all other original papers intact. I temporarily attached trimmed post-a-note to the 1955 sales receipt for name obscurity at that time. Perhaps not the lowest possible, however Ruger's serial number look-up implies this one might have been the 263rd SS produced in 1955.

Single-Six Standard Model Revolver
Manufactured from 1953 to 1973
22 LR (Instruction Manual)

Serial Year
1 1953
50 1954
10734 1955

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, your gun was made in 1955,, according to the RENE Guide. (Even the Ruger Factory info can be "off" unless a letter confirms details.

So,, while it MAY have been the 263 produced in 1955, according to the serial numbers,, that's not always the case. The day book of records indicates when it was finished & such. And often,, frames weren't always grabbed in sequence.
It's still a 3rd year produced,, 5 digit gun. According to the RENE Guide, serial numbers 1-49 were done in 1953,, while serial numbers 50 to 10733 were built in 1954,, and serial numbers 10734 to 31856 were built in 1955.
Condition is paramount for collectors,, as having all the original stuff. Your gun is a "Type 2" Flatgate,, and from what I can tell has it's original parts except for the grips. Well,,, the base pin is hard to see & make sure it's a correct one. And a correct box,,, most likely a non-catalog number type,, can cost $200 or more for a nice one. The shipper,, even more.
A correct set of original grips,, cost about $100,, but the Stags can sell for $200-$250,, so that helps. As we say,, "The devil is in the details!"

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Yes, you do have a Conundrum. I believe there are quite a few out there that have the same
Conundrum.

"I just called to let you know that your Mountain Gun went to a Good, Safe Home and will be
cherished and well taken care of"

Several years ago a Local Gun Store had for sale; S&W Model 629-6 44Mag Mountain Gun with
Laser Engraved Elk Rack, Cabela's Outfitter Series Revolver.

It had all; previous Owner's Business Card,VBP, Documents, Lock, and Plastic Blue Box (perfect
condition).

One day I decided to call Previous Owner. Talking with him, he knew he could get more for it,
but didn't trust what might happen after the sale, so he sold the MG through the LGS.

He was very impressed and glad I call to tell him about a "Safe Home, etc." I could tell he was
getting choked up, and we talked through it. He wanted to give me all his 44Mag ammo, but
I declined because I have so much and Reload.

The S&W MG had sat in his Safe since 2009. He didn't want to shoot it because it was so nice
and he collected SIGs (whatever they are).

I do shoot that S&W MG COS. It is in my Range Rotation, and it is well taken care of, especially
what I found out about it.

I do have my Dad's 1956 Ruger Single Six Flat Gate 22lr (five digits). It has honest wear and 95%
bluing left. It is, believe it or not, one of my most accurate Revolvers. The unbelievable nice Trigger
and 6-1/2Bbl contribute to that accuracy. It, also is in my Range Rotation shooting Bag.

It has taken a while to figure out how to shoot this "Cowboy" Gun. Little Pinky underneath Grip works.

I don't think I have to worry, we have a Gun Family and they know how picky I am with Guns (heck I
won't loan them, or usually never let them shoot mine). Selfish, yes!, but my Guns are for my
enjoyment and well taken care of. Like, you know the story of Rental Cars, Right?

Sorry no Pictures, but sometimes can be seen on S&W forum.

Boomer

Single-Sixer
^^^ Good story!

Also a reminder to me to resolve a plan of action on this combo. I got some PMs from forum members but hard to determine fair value with so few this old with same family documented ownership. Seems I'll have to "raise the flag high and see who salutes"... :lol:

The Norseman

Blackhawk
As for Price, I don't follow Ruger prices. so it is hard for me to say.

My Dad's, like yours has Providence. Both have a wonderful story, and in the Family
since purchased back in the Day.

Mine has the Original Box, Instructions, and Original Black Grips, and Holster
(some where around here). I have never Holstered it, only carried in a Menards $3.00
Black Handled Pistol Rug. I would say Dad's '56 RSS is worth well North of $700-$800.
Of course never to be Sold.

A person can not just find/purchase such Vintage Well Maintained RSSs I would say
your Price is about the same. With those Stag Grips maybe more?

Anyway thank you for the Memories, the Best to you, and your Endeavors.

RSSs for ever!

Latest posts