Found another old shotgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
After having another surgery with my arm this year, hunting with a shotgun has gotten tougher, especially with a pump action, so I went looking for another shotgun. I recently found this old Husqvarna Model 20 12 gauge recently. It's got fluid steel barrels so smokeless powder loads are ok, but since it's chambered for 2 5/8" shells, I have to handload for it, so I bought some Magtech 2 1/2" brass shells. I am going to load it light, 7/8 ounce loads with light loads. The underlever takes a little getting used to, but the shotgun is just a real beauty. It's actually very light for a double 12 gauge, only about 7 pounds. I was told that it's full choke and modified and the barrels measure out to twenty nine inches, which is just fine. I am waiting on the correct size wads and then I will get loading the shells. I hope to take it out squirrel hunting once deer season is over, weather permitting.
The stock had most of the checkering sanded off at one point, but the engraving on the gun is beautiful, a fox on one side, a dog on the other. The underlever takes a little getting used to, but it's not really that bad. The sling came with the gun, not sure where that came from. I got it at a reasonable price, picked it up for four bills.

r7QcpW7.jpg

hvupofg.jpg

GSjmCYL.jpg

bOcCMXJ.jpg

pkNlEP7.jpg

fiasconva

Blackhawk
David, RST and Polywad companies make vintage low pressure 2 1/2 " shells for that shotgun if you want to go that route instead of reloading. Both have great reviews about their shells.

I forget who imported those slings but they fit Swedish-made guns very well and I suspect a European manufacturer. I have an identical one on my Valmet/Savage O/U combination 12 ga/.222 and another on a Valmet "Lion" 12 ga. O/U my wife gave me years ago. If I find the manufacturer, I'll PM you.

Nice Husky!

My experience of Scandinavian shotguns is that they tend to be choked VERY tight in at least one barrel and usually two. So keeping the loads light is a good idea, recoil-wise and wear-wise. I was told by a Finnish friend that the reason for the tight chokes is that traditionally most shotgun hunting was for waterfowl, or what the Brits call "rough shooting," meaning hunting for whatever is in season--if it flies, it dies. Or if it runs or hops or sits.

A common target was brown hares and Arctic hares--both big animals. Foxes were shot where encountered. Grouse-like birds were also game and they range from ptarmigan (small) to capercaillies and blackgame--grouse family birds nearly as big as our turkeys. Shooters were perfectly happy to shoot birds sitting in trees, on the ground, or, if necessary, in the air. So they wanted a very tight pattern. If you have ever tried to kill a sitting grouse with small shot in a shotgun, you know just how bullet-proof they can be (I admit nothing!). Shooting thru folded wings and body feathers is a lot different than shooting thru breast feathers alone!

Have fun with it, and let us know about it!

Mike Armstrong