Hawkeye with S on the barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Been looking for a shootable Hawkeye for some time. Thought this one looked too nice but t's a factory re-blue with Ruger work order confirming it and no box or paper, so the price was right. Looks like new and I can shoot a re-blued Hawkeye w/o remorse; and put steel parts on it;

ROA steel grip frame fitted and polished but decided not to blue it, # 2516:

large.jpg

It has an S on top of the barrel just forward of the frame. Anyone know what that means?

Thx,
Jim

The Hawkeye is an odd duck in that it isn't really a "revolver" but more like a really short rifle with the chamber in the barrel like all rifles, so the proofmark is on the barrel.

As far as I know, all Ruger centerfire revolvers have a proof mark on their cylinders, and all I have noticed were an "S". Pretty sure all their centerfire rifles carry one, as well.

Dunno about rimfires.

:mrgreen:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Thank you.

That makes perfect sense, marked like a rifle.
Yep, I recall all my cyls are marked with an S like you said.

My 10-22 doesn't have a proof mark, so you must be right again, centerfire rifles only.

Thanks very much,

chet15

Hawkeye
The Hawkeye is not a rifle. It has a proofmark in that location on the barrel because that is where the chamber is.
Some Hawkeyes missed the "S" proofing but there arent many like that.
All of the prototype Hawkeyes that I know of were marked with the stylized NP Newport proof.
All DA's and centerfire rifles also have the stylized Newport proof.
Chet15

Just to be absolutely clear, I did NOT say the Hawkeye single-shot handgun is a rifle . . . I noted that its proof mark is on the barrel where the chamber is, similar to how rifles are proof-marked.

Don't want any confusion here.

:wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
The Hawkeye is not a rifle. It has a proofmark in that location on the barrel because that is where the chamber is.
Some Hawkeyes missed the "S" proofing but there aren't many like that.
All of the prototype Hawkeyes that I know of were marked with the stylized NP Newport proof.
All DA's and centerfire rifles also have the stylized Newport proof.
Chet15

Chet,

Ale did clearly post "like" a rifle and I understood him to mean that as well.

And thank you for the additional information!! I don't know why I didn't think to check my REFERENCE OF RUGER FIREARMS! Likely because I'm old, no I've been old awhile....because I'm OLDER!

eveled

Hawkeye
It's a beautiful gun. Hope you enjoy and shoot the heck out of it.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
SN 1839 lives here........one of ten documented "S" seconds. It is factory lettered. Both "S" removed at finish polishing by request of employee purchasing("polish off the S") and polisher not understanding instructions. Is a high finish and SBH grip framed Hawkeye.....One of my Treasures 8)