American Pickers "Holy Grail"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Watching a repeat American Pickers today and spotted something in this shot that I believe most Ruger Collectors would like to have. Of course Mike did not even ask about it. Perhaps someone should "school" him on Rugers. Can you spot it?

street

Hunter
I see what may be a Bearcat laying on the table with the brass trigger guard facing us. Also something just in front of Mike's nose that is round and cream colored with a black eagle and maybe a gold wreath. Don't know what that is.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
jussbad said:
What would you think the value of that ashtray is today?
My opinion, 800.00 to 1000.00. One I have I paid 850.00 the other one was 500.00. I do remember one selling on auction for about 350.00 but when I found it auction had already closed. If I found it before I guarentee it would have gone for more.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
I agree with rick as to values. I paid $600.00 and change for mine, and one in about 70% condition sold for a little over $700.00 in the past year. Only 200 made in 1955 so it seems that "rarity trumps condition" when it comes to these pieces,
JMO

Terry

street

Hunter
Coogs said:
Don't watch that show at all......to me they are amateurs and the whole show is more than likely scripted.....
Of course it's scripted! It's TV! I watch just to see all of the neat stuff they find.

I must have missed that show. I get really irritated sometimes with their inane comments and off the wall pricing. I do watch the show, mainly to see what is in the background, or they pull anything up that I have or had. There was a lighter on a recent show that was owned by a pilot from the C.B.I that flew with AVG Flying Tigers in China that I would like to have, I like watching for some of the old cars too.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I remember seeing that when the episode aired several years ago. I rewound/paused it and did the same thing - took a picture of the screen. Then I went to the Pickers web site and had to go thru a registration in order to ask a question about it. All I ever heard from them was a stream of spam emails for their online store.

I have a note of the episode somewhere, but didn't pursue it any further. I do recall they were in upstate New York.

Coincidentally, in 2017 I was hauling a trailer full of family items I had taken from my parents' house in Denver and my dad's camp in Texas when my transfer case blew out near Nashville. I was able to limp the truck to the nearest exit which turned out to be the one you take to get to the Picker's store there. Spent two nights (and $3K at the Chevy dealer) and thought about trying to go to the Pickers shop to ask more about tracking down that ashtray, but never made it since I didn't have wheels.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I suddenly wonder if this shop was a wonderful antique, gun, fishing, collectibles place in Bergen, NY ? He had the gun stuff stacked to the lights and tons of gun-factory lots from Ithaca, Savage, and Remington downstate. I found a wall of as new Ithaca stock sets and bought several. Lots of Ruger collectibles. Even had some artwork by Alexander Sturm.
He had also an ice cream store, butcher shop, and a barn full of restored cars from model As to big block gm rareties.

I'd really like to know...