BKH34 type 2 ID help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
Reading this has me wondering. I have a BKH34 flattop that I thought was a transition gun, but I'm not clear on what is what.

weaselmeatgravy said:
I got this BKH34 flattop back in 2012 and it was discussed in the Collectibles section with general agreement that it is the highest known example of the Type 2A transition variation, which is a type 2 in all respects except still retains the type 1 base pin with narrow lands/grooves. The type 2 is known as low as 9304 and the combination of parts used was a random occurrence due to the "parts bin" assembly process.

Mine is 8567 - from what I can tell type 2 sight, (straight lines) type 2 EJRH, EJR, narrow base pin. (compared to an "eared" model) is this an earlier type 2 than previously known? I can provide pics, but will have find a hosting site. Sadly the trigger guard is buggered up.

exactly what 'WmG' said above the combination of these parts in that era make it fall one way or the other , by what was put on by the factory,( the "parts bin theory") let alone what MAY have been changed by an owner at any given time back then, in your case the center pin itself??? man I can remember all the MANY conversations with Bob C and tommygun over the years, and long ago...................so unless brand new in the box, its a crapshoot........call it what YOU want it to be, none of us can prove or disprove it 8) :roll: :wink:

Dan in MI

Staff member
Thanks Dan, I guess my real question is should I let Chet see this to change the lower known type 2 serial number?

I'm going to be re-homing it soon so it's identity is up to someone else to decide.

chet15

Hawkeye
Dan in MI said:
Thanks Dan, I guess my real question is should I let Chet see this to change the lower known type 2 serial number?

I'm going to be re-homing it soon so it's identity is up to someone else to decide.

The Type 2A with later front sight and early narrow land base pin is actually known from 7382 to at least 9521, so yours falls right where it should. There are higher serial numbers known with the early base pin, such as 9923, 9935, 10369 and 11588 which fall in with the "parts bin theory" as Dan Mentioned. Here's the thing with the 2A... Every gun known from 7382 to 9521 pretty much has the early base pin, so the odds of your base pin being switched to the early style are probably nil. Collectors don't worry to much about the parts being changed on their gun if the other guns around it have the same characteristics. Sure, it is always possible the pin was changed, but really doubtful.
Something else I noticed in your post, the O.M. .357 Blackhawk never had a collar like found on the later .44 flattop and all Super Blackhawks.
Chet15

Dan in MI

Staff member
Thanks Chet. I think you misunderstood my eared comment. I was talking about a dash serial number with protected sight. I had heard that version called an eared model a while ago. My .357's all have collar less base pins. My 41's and 45's do have collars.