"D" gun boxes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmc25

Single-Sixer
Revolver in question is a Single Six. The number on the gun starts with a "D" but the box contains the serial number without the D. Was this common practice at Ruger at the time this box was marked?
rmc

chet15

Hawkeye
No, Ruger does not put some other serial number on a box, different from a gun.
So an employee made an error.
I am very curious about the serial number on your gun, because Ruger very possibly forgot to stamp it with a "D".
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
I have a couple of boxes marked at the factory with a "D" but they're GP100s made in the 1990's.

rmc25

Single-Sixer
The D is stamped on the gun. The D is not written on the box. Serial numbers match.

Did the original and D guns leave the factory at the same time? Maybe someone reversed the lids or more likely just forgot to write the D on the box.
rmc

hittman

Staff member
rmc25 said:
Did the original and D guns leave the factory at the same time?

likely just forgot to write the D on the box.

Likely did not leave the factory at the same time.
One of my "D" guns left the mother ship something like 9 YEARS after the original.

Agreed, they probably just didn't record the "D" on the box.

Remember, these were just everyday folks working in a factory .... not collectors.

also goes back to just what or how the boxes may have been marked as well as the shipper....the shipper of an original package will contain the more proper and complete markings......we have often seen different markings on one or the other, same goes for "holding" the gun from shipping ( setting it aside) maybe for an employee or the "low numbers" crowd of the old days...... 8) :roll: :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
rmc25 said:
The D is stamped on the gun. The D is not written on the box. Serial numbers match.

Did the original and D guns leave the factory at the same time? Maybe someone reversed the lids or more likely just forgot to write the D on the box.
rmc

I agree, the employee likely didn't get the "D" on the box.
If you have a D50xxxx range gun, the original matching numbers were shipped in 1964/1965 as the Super Single-Six without the "D".
The D50xxxx range guns were fixed sight Single-Sixes that left in 1968, so a 3-4 year difference between guns.
Send me a PM of your full serial number, curious where it falls.
Ruger caught a huge mistake of 5,100 serial numbers being duplicated in 1968 (duplicated the same Super Single-Sixes from 1964/1965). When Ruger reached 499999 on the fixed sight serial number block, they forgot that the 500000 block had already been used so serial numberd 5,100 guns before the error was caught.
Some of the fixed sight guns in the 500xxx range were shipped before the error was caught so got out without the "D".
Apparently when Ruger's error was caught, all hands were on deck stamping the guns that were still there with the "D" as there are at least 4 different "D" markings known. What a pain in the butt to WBR!! A lot of wasted time with no $ coming in because of the error.
I can imagine guns that were already packaged and awaiting shipment being opened and stamped with the "D". Could easily have forgotten to put the "D" on the boxes.
Chet15