Brought the 1894 Winchester back to life

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Well, I have finished with the Model 1894 Winchester .38-55. If you recall what I started with, it's a well worn rifle that had the wrong wood on the forearm and buttstock, but the bore is excellent and the action works without an issue.
So I replaced the wood, it doesn't quite match up, but it looks the part. I took the rear sight which was beat up, wasn't original and missing parts and cut it down and rounded the edge off and blued it to make a sight blank. The I out on a Lyman 1A tang sight. I also filled in some of the really bad pitting with JB Weld.

The proof of course was at the range, so with some factory Winchester ammo, at 25 yards I got a group of an inch, at 50 yards it's about 2-inches on my homemade bison target. I slugged the bore and got .378" which is not unusual for these guns, so the factory rounds are a bit undersized. I have some bullet and brass so I plan on handloading for it, and since the cast bullets I have are much closer to the correct size, these groups should get even better. But the best part is, I brought this old gun back to life, I do plan on hunting with it this fall for sure.

GgT0ucN.jpg

xR4lWVm.jpg

rHcbWPr.jpg

LMlTT0P.jpg

wfu5Dfv.jpg

kDZ4QGh.jpg

IB5yfjs.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Very nice! It's MUCH more fun to bring some old crock back to life than to shoot the newest wonderblaster, isn't it? :wink: