RSSMX Guesstimate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I think I have this down but please correct me if I'm wrong...

Mid-60's 6.5" OMSS marked "RUGER .22 CAL. SINGLE-SIX" with two cylinders and walnut grips is probably a RSSMX, right? It has a six-digit SN that starts with "4". I don't have it in hand but if everything checks out it should be a pretty good deal since it comes with the box, wax paper, and felt bag. Other than requesting a letter and checking general condition, I need to look for three digits on one of the cylinders and box end label. What else?

Also with the condition 95+ and expecting a large window guesstimate, what is a good price to pay private sale? It is not NIB or anything crazy and the box looks to be in good shape. My other OMSS is from the same year and is a 5.5". Gun Broker completed items isn't great when it comes to such a specific item. All I can find there is a first year 1959 RSSM.

RENE Price Guide has "pristine" versions of these at $420 for the gun alone. Having a "package" with the box, etc, might bump that up a hundred bucks or so.

In your case, actual condition will prevail in establishing "value". You and the owner will have to come to a mutually-agreeable figure. Sounds like a nice one. Good luck.

:)

hittman

Staff member
Ale do you know if RENE includes the 2nd cylinder in that price?

I seem to recall about that time when the first guns had the hard rubber grips and they transitioned to the walnut grips there was a "W" in the catalog number and some we recall had a small white sticker on the end label that said "with Walnut Grips) sounds like a nice gun and if its all there price will push the $500 plus mark, we sold one with the box and shipper and got $550 for it ..........

hittman said:
Ale do you know if RENE includes the 2nd cylinder in that price?

I have no facts to back this up, but the pricing should be for a "complete" gun which in this case would include the extra cylinder. It might not include the little red felt bag, however, but I think that's getting kinda picky.

RENE prices a cylinder alone at $105.00 so I'd think that might justify some "dickering" in a transaction if the cylinder were missing.

JMHO

:wink:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I got more pics from the seller and it doesn't look like the cylinders are marked with numbers, stamped or etched. It is an hour drive to see it but if this all looks legit I will probably go look this evening.

Here is the box label but it could be Ruger just used up and older RSSM box as the serial number that matches the gun is in "old ink" like I've seen a bunch of times (edited out of the picture).

thumbnail-IMG-1105.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Dan sold one without the box for $550

RENE says cylinder alone worth $105

Now the grip frame is a new twist but not a deal breaker. There's gotta be somebody here who would sell you a nice one or even trade you for your damaged one plus cash to use on a custom project.

I think the box and papers are worth $100

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'd buy it though.

hittman

Staff member
And you know, if RENE values this gun at $420 WITH the cylinder - and if the cylinder alone is $105 - that makes the gun alone worth only $315.00!

We should buy all of these we see for $315.00! That's half price of a new one and to some of us ..... a better and more desirable gun!

Three digits of the gun's serial number should be on the front of the magnum cylinder. Note that it can be quite difficult to see this without getting the surface nicely clean and using good light, particularly if it was done with the "electric pencil".

A letter would solve the question, of course.

street

Hunter
rugerguy said:
I seem to recall about that time when the first guns had the hard rubber grips and they transitioned to the walnut grips there was a "W" in the catalog number and some we recall had a small white sticker on the end label that said "with Walnut Grips) sounds like a nice gun and if its all there price will push the $500 plus mark, we sold one with the box and shipper and got $550 for it ..........
Dan, When the first 6 1/2 in barrel Single-sixes came out they were only shipped with the hard rubber grips and the distributor price list had RSSM for the cat. number. M as you know stands for magnum, as that was what the frames was stamped. Effective Jan. 4, 1960 they listed the 6 1/2 in bl. Single-Sixes with a cat. number for hard rubber grips as RSSMR and for the walnut grips the cat. number was RSSMW. Later on that year when the convertibles started they only used RSSMX no matter what grips they used, although I think that walnut was used the most.

As for the sticker on the end of the box saying, "with Walnut grips", I think it was more of a tan to light brown instead of white.

had this one years ago and Laura sold it , was in the #420xxx range and lettered as an RSSMX, the sticker was more white years ago and with age and oil, fading whatever can be called tan, more brown, you can almost see thru it , the lettering below it, maybe the glue??I know I wiped the boxes down with a sheepskin over the years so my guess its the oil........

y8V8L42m.jpg

anyway the OP you get the gun you will like it, we still have an SC6 laying around here someplace..............oh yeah, here it is.....

x4JV49vm.jpg

My wife got rid of most all of the "newer" old model 22's over the years, kept just a few early RSS....... :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
Dan:
You got an old holdover box if that was a 420xxx range gun. They didn't need to put "WITH WALNUT GRIPS" stickers on the end any longer because that wasn't an option, walnut was standard on guns above 194000.
Gasguzzler... yes, your gun would be an RSSMX. The pricing in the RENE is for an RSSMX (includes the cylinder).
Also a note for you... 416xxx is a range where there are quite a few guns with a really purple frame and high polish. If yours has that purple frame, look on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard to see if there is a small "S" stamped there.
Chet15

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I'm very proud to say this RSSMX is home with me. There's only one person here that knows what I paid but that's OK if it helps BEHIND THE SCENES. I will send off for a letter but I am pretty sure I know what I have. The LAST three digits of the SN are in fact EP'd on the WMR cylinder face. Besides the SSN engraved on the bottom of the butt and the missing manual (I do have the wax paper), it's very nice. The box is nearly perfect. More pics tomorrow but here are some teasers...it's soaking in oil with the grips off. There is some yuck around the forcing cone and in the barrel but it's not rust, just crap from not being cleaned. Blue is pretty...um blue. It's not plum like my 1978 BK36. In the second picture you can see the engraved SSN. I need an XR3-RED buddy deal...and I can send this one along for your custom project plus a little dough to even the trade. Help me please...

6180-DB51-E935-419-F-B730-96-C445-ECB6-FE.jpg

93968-F66-310-F-444-A-B52-C-D1478-EF92314.jpg

very nice looking gun, and the gunk ( old leading turning to crude) will clean off, Hoppes, Shooters Choice and a brass bristle brush and as for the butt simply draw file the flat, and you can spray it with Alumahyde or even Krylon flat black or have it ceracoated ( that cost $$$$$) or as noted above, get a new grip frame they are out there but we see too many folks booger the screws or the frame screw holes, from "improper" removal/replacement....as for the box and stickers, we have seen guns from the days of the early 'magnum marked" and the same boxes used in the 300,xxx to the 400,xxx serial number ranges with stickers on them, and later some boxes had stickers for the chroe and nickel marked guns,,,,,the RSS that Laura has came in a box that had a "chrome" sticker on it, and it was even earlier,,,,wish I had that box, even the late Steve Vogel would have 'loved' it....... 8) :roll: :wink: