Coonan 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

silverback

Blackhawk
I found a good deal on a coonan 357. 1911. Clone. It Is my unicorn gun and my retirement gift to myself.

I have always lusted after one so i figured what the heck. I am not getting any younger.

Not to practical but hopefully fun and interesting.

Cant wait for it to be dropped off at my ffl.

Pics and range report to follow.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Bill Coonan came through our little gun shop back in the early 90's.. I guess it would have been about the time he left the company...
I always thought the gun was kinda weird looking, but in a pretty way..... They seemed really well put together, but back then I think a lot of people were kinda sceptical that a 357 would function in an autoloader......
It definitely was not just a 1911 wannabe...
Post pics... and keep her in good order.. they don't make'um any more you know!!.... :wink:

silverback

Blackhawk
Back from the maiden range session.
WOW!!!!

I don't understand why coonan (thecompany) had had so many issues. This gun is superb.

The softest shooting 357 I have ever shot. Accurate out of the box.

I cleaned and lubed last night.

125 grain super easy no real felt recoil just muzzle flip. The 158 grains same with a bit more muzzle rise.

The trigger....man the trigger, nothing to be done to it. Very very nice.

The fit and finsh excellent and great machining.
Adjustable rear sights.

Coonan really should have done media blitz focusing on how soft this gun is to shoot.

It tames the 357 cartridge and has added benefit of the 1911 style platform with quick reloads.

It is worth every penny. I was lucky, in that It is a LNIB that was never shot. a display model in a gun shop.

Picked it up for 90's price. My retirement gift to myself.

What a great gun. I wish I would have known how nice it is to shoot the 357 when they first came out. I would have picked one up then.

Writers really dont do this gun justice regarding how soft it shoots.

Really has to be shot to be appreciated.

Couldn't be happier. Well if I had a couple more mags and maybe that comp barrel. Lol

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Really nice looking gun, i always wanted one too, congrats!

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
The only one of these I have ever seen was hanging on the wall of an Alaskan fishing outfitter. It was found in the river seized up tight. Sad ending for such a rare item so please take care of yours!

silverback

Blackhawk
Another great day at the range. The 39+p. Shoot like a 22lr out of this gun. Super accurate.
Even with 357 it's still so amazing at how soft it shoots.

I am going to hunt down the compact version.

I also want the comp 6 inch barrel for the full size gun.

Dan this gun is fun.

It makes shooting 357 like 9mm.

Cant wait for the end of month and retirement. I have to start some serious reloading.