Really Rare "Newton" Rifle in 256 Newton

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have been around the world a few times, not much makes me do a double take, but I came across this Charles Newton Rifle and had to shake my head. A life time of want ing just to hold one, instead of just seeing it in magazines and books. And now I own one. And a rare one. Mr. Newton made 1000 rifles in Buffalo NY, all were ser numbered. Then moved the shop I believe to NH or CT to try and go full steam ahead.

But only made 2400 rifles total. From 1913 thru?... They where high end guns at the wrong time to make them, checkered, double set triggers, the best of there time.

This ones as rare as it gets, no ser number, patented pending, this one was made in Buffalo NY. Charles Newton was the fore father to the 25-06 Remminton.

Prototype? One can only wonder. Cool gun from my home town prior to moving to Alaska.

Happy to hear from guys that know more about this rifles, there are a few books out about theses rifles too.

If there's any hard core Newton Rifles Collectors out there, I would part with this gun to a guy that a real Newton guy. ... Scott

Rv108vZh.png

3SN78mKh.png

MXpQdkMh.png

f1raow8h.png

Atz8j7Qh.png

Coogs

Maximum
Very cool! Years ago a believe there was an article in American rifleman on the Newton. If it wasn't there it may have been in a Gun Digest or such. Sorry, CRS has come along....getting to be that age..........Jack.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Generally, all the parts of the Newton were serially numbered. Raise the bolt handle and look at the base. The action has to be removed from the stock to see the number on it.

hittman

Staff member
Newton's web site (if accurate) says something to the effect of many 1922 guns were not serial numbered. They have an interesting site with lots of pictures.

They also have a list of many different places on the gun where the s/n may reside.