Need help identifying brass gripframe, please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
414152219.jpg

414152220.jpg

414152221.jpg

414152222.jpg

I just traded into a '95-Vintage 44 Vaquero. It's got an unmarked(as far as I can see) brass Super Blackhawk-style gripframe. Any of you brass frame experts have any insights? Thanks

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
I was pretty sure Ruger didn't make it. I was hoping that someone might have an idea who made it and, ultimately, what it's worth. I'm looking to put a stainless gripframe back on it. It would have been great to recoup some of the cost by selling/trading the brass one. Thanks

hittman

Staff member
Do some internet searches and see if you can order new brass grip frames and their cost. I found a discontinued item at Midway that sold for $230.00.

There's sure to be others out there.

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
I Googled around some before I posted here, but didn't see my particular frame. My misperception, I guess, was that there were only a few possibilities as far as who could have made this gripframe and I would find out pretty quickly by asking here. I'll keep sharpening my google-fu. Thanks

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
It looks like one by S. G. In a picture in this thread. I'll try to find out who 'S.G.' Is
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=82045

hittman

Staff member
Hang tight a few days ..... other members will see your thread and chime in soon.

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
They made other brass parts for Ruger New Models including ejector housings. Brass Frame/Lee E

edwardyoung

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the information I traded into this gun knowing I was going to have to spend money to un-modify it. I was hoping this grip frame and the blue small-parts would pay for the stainless parts I need. The mercenary question is, does this brass grip frame, in fact, have any value/desirability? Thanks.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I had a bunch of those years back. Sold 'em off. Think I have one or two remaining.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have a brass frame, square trigger guard, that fits both Old and New models. It has "B N R" cast into left side. It fits great. Remove pin that holds coil part of trigger spring, replace with a holder for OM trigger spring.

BNR, Caravelle, Qualite, Power Custom and I'm sure a few others made aftermarket brass frames for Rugers. The ones I've listed and the factory MR3-BD are the ones I have had over the years. Correction, John Linebagu also has made brass grip frames for Rugers but his are all Bisley style. Milt Morrison of Qualite did have access to this bisley mold somehow and made a small run of brass bisley frames too. A friend and I bought the last of the Qualite frames several years ago. I have one of Johns on a 475 he built and another spare in the parts box for a project down the road someday.

G2

Hunter
I highly suspect this frame is one of the group that showed up on EBay a few years back. (as BlkHawk73 mentioned) I also bought a pile and have a couple left. :D
I had some correspondence with the seller but he was keeping info very tight as to whom, why & where the Mfg.
They were cast to just about perfect fit on the flats. So close that there was literally NO material left for fitting and finish.
They were straight, fit up was just about perfect, the ears were just a tad high, a good thing.
They need to be carefully cleaned up in the flats area, (where it meets the grip frame) keeping the flats flat where it meets the grip frame removing only what's necessary to get it to polish. The rest cleans up real easy, I fit grip panels at the same time to get it near perfect.

Overall they were some of the best cast brass grip frames I have ever dealt with, the only complaint is there is just no room on the flats.

As to Value, $200-300. Keeping in mind no one is currently making brass grip frames in XR3-RED, SBH, Bird, profiles. Power Custom is doing a 2 piece XR3, ($260) that can be cut to a Bird. I have heard rumor PC is no longer doing Brass but can not confirm.
Finally if you want a Brass Bisley, the only know source currently is John Linebauh as a option (+$1000 is the # that has been put out there) on one of his builds.

A recent build using one of these frames, bringing a OA back to life as a 5.5" adjustable sight.
01501D96-A342-4B93-A7CF-C545E9B6DD41.jpeg