Help Support Ruger Forum:

radicalrod

Hunter
He can explain what these are.....RR

epjj2Rk.jpg

89qkkJJ.jpg

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
Thanks Rod. These Are For. Street, Ale-8, Dan. This Is The 3 Screw Stainless I Was Talking About One The SS Rev. Forum Page. Thanks Again Rod You Are A Life Saver.

chet15

Hawkeye
Get Wood said:
Thanks Rod. These Are For. Street, Ale-8, Dan. This Is The 3 Screw Stainless I Was Talking About One The SS Rev. Forum Page. Thanks Again Rod You Are A Life Saver.

You should call the factory to see how it shipped and when.
Should have left as BKH34.
I do not believe the gun would be stainless as his production guns didn't start until 1974.
If the factory tells you this gun went to a normal distributor I would be hesitant as to its true metal...probably chrome moly 4140.
The grip frame also has a different color to it which leads me to believe it is polished out aluminum...of course, same with the ejector housing.
Chet15

As I had said before, that picture is typical of the finish and "How" those early guns were refinished by such as 'Mahovskys Metalife' as well as like Chad said above the usual way the grip frame and aluminum housing were stripped ( polished?) to blend in with the 'stainless appearance of any and all the "steel" parts ( and yes it , the steel parts, was a 4140 chrome moly alloy)
when we did these , we tried to polish out the aluminum to BETTER blend in (match) the stainless look.
takes a simple 'test' of an out of the way spot in the metals finish and with a drop of cold blue to see if the metal below the finish, changes color.....can win a LOT of bets doing just that, and see how the story changes...this happens more often with revolvers such as the S&W Model 19 that is 'metalifed SS' and folks try to pass off a "factory' flaw , and that is it really a model 66 ( stainless gun) and it AIN'T!
like Chad said above, stainless guns from Ruger were done MUCH later.........

can a cylinder frame be machined out of a stainless bar stock?? absolutely, but if you are going that far, then why would whoever did that gun, not simply use an Old Army grip frame and a stainless ejector housing ,made to fit....we would have done the job "correctly" and made it RIGHT. 8) :roll:

Armaloy, Metalife, and countless others using hard chrome, chromium "coatings", etc. made a lot of customers "happy" with the stainless steel "look"...buy the gun, NOT the story :wink:

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
I Was Told By A Good Gun Smith That Back In The Day. Some Workers At Ruger Would Play Around With Gun Parts On Their Own Time. And It's Hard Telling What Some Would Come Up With. I Just Find It Interesting And This Piece Is As I Found It . I Have Changed Nothing. Thanks For Looking.

Get Wood said:
I Was Told By A Good Gun Smith That Back In The Day. Some Workers At Ruger Would Play Around With Gun Parts On Their Own Time. And It's Hard Telling What Some Would Come Up With. I Just Find It Interesting And This Piece Is As I Found It . I Have Changed Nothing. Thanks For Looking.

Must remember , the caveat to that is "back in the day", those parts and finish were not available???

Bring it around to the one of the shows and let us "see it",,,, I saw you last weekend 8) :roll:

street

Hunter
Get Wood said:
Thanks for the pictures. Looking at them it shows that the grip frame and ejector rod housing is not Stainless Steel, which Ruger uses for his Stainless guns. Another thing to think about is from what I have been told it takes different cutters and tools to run operations on Stainless Steel guns compared to the blue chrome moly guns. I can't see Ruger paying extra money for tooling just to make one Stainless Steel gun, as Bill Ruger had a reputation for being tight. The only way to tell for sure is to get a letter from Ruger. So far no one has a letter from Ruger stating that any Old Model 3 screw has been made in Stainless Steel, other then the Old Armys and they were started in 1974 the same time frame as the other Ruger Stainless Steel guns.

chet15

Hawkeye
street said:
Get Wood said:
Thanks for the pictures. Looking at them it shows that the grip frame and ejector rod housing is not Stainless Steel, which Ruger uses for his Stainless guns. Another thing to think about is from what I have been told it takes different cutters and tools to run operations on Stainless Steel guns compared to the blue chrome moly guns. I can't see Ruger paying extra money for tooling just to make one Stainless Steel gun, as Bill Ruger had a reputation for being tight. The only way to tell for sure is to get a letter from Ruger. So far no one has a letter from Ruger stating that any Old Model 3 screw has been made in Stainless Steel, other then the Old Armys and they were started in 1974 the same time frame as the other Ruger Stainless Steel guns.

Yes, get a letter from Ruger and see what they say as to who it was shipped to, ship date or anything else that might be available.
Ruger did do experimenting so if you want to know, get the letter.
As an example I have handled an Old Model Super Blackhawk cylinder frame with the three screw holes cut into it that was made out of aluminum and black anodized.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
So if the gun in question in this thread does have a stainless cylinder frame (which most of us doubt at the moment) it would definitely have more value to it than a common Ruger shootin' iron.
Chet15

yes, a magnet will stick to stainless gun alloy....and even again, if they did "possibly" mill/machine a cylinder frame out of a block of stainless, still had to make a cylinder?? as well as a barrel, as I said, we believe those parts were NOT available at that time, but sometime later, early 70's for Ruger and mid ,late 60s for Smith & Wesson......if we would run into Ron M, could always ask him if they did that particular serial numbered gun, matter of records.........I would still simply and easily enough test the metal of the gun,bet it AIN'T "stainless" through and through.........yes, aluminum I could see Ruger testing, playing with , as they all too often did over the years...stainless is a bear, and NOT good stuff to be machining,cutting etc.....eats up tooling badly !!!!
Mr.Dan Wesson was impressed when Ruger came around to "casting" stainless parts , even for how well they did the chrome moly before.........I know, he told me so...... 8) :roll: :wink:

Latest posts