Early Single Six... 1954

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
Here's an old one I saw today so I snapped some photos. The serial number may be popular with Italian collectors!

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice old Flatgate,, that needs the gate fixed,, and a new g/f that isn't all scratched up. Plus,, it has some of the reddish color peeking out in a few spots,, that many of us find attractive.
I had to look at my list to check that number too!
Nice one!

yeswwir, that is a NICE gun, and appears by the LONGER gate to be the 'Premiere' version...as for the markings on the bottom of the grip a "
piece of cake" to simply remove ( buff out) and hit the flat ONLY with a quick spray of something like Brownells 'Alumahide' , we have done this HUNDREDS of time for folks over the years cheaper than buying another XR-3 frame.......and have even seen recently one the shop north of us did in flat black Cerocoat...looked awesome

Again, that is a NICE gun :wink:

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
GRAMPS 51 said:
Hi looks like a Premier gate that gun looks to be in very nice shape was it for sale or in someones collection

Gramps

Hi Gramps,

My friend currently has it. I let him know years ago that it was a rare one. He showed it to me again yesterday and I asked if I could share photos here. I should have tried to take a couple photos outside because I thought I could remember seeing a lightning strike when I first saw it.

Unconverted

BDM1

Single-Sixer
Your single six and i were born the same year. Your single six looks to have aged better than me!!

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
I called Records for fun. It shipped in April 1954. The invoice isn't available though.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, Ruger Single-Sixes came were shipped with flat loading gates up to March 1957.
A company called the "Premier Weapons Company" from California produced a contoured gate and Colt style half-moon button ejector rod as a retro. When Ruger saw that he figured he better get on the stick and put a contoured gate on his gun right from the factory. The public obviously wanted it.
Chet15

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
I went back and took some photos outdoors to showcase the frame colors. I especially like the first photo.