Winchester O/U Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
Sorry this is not regarding Ruger's, but, I'm hoping someone here may know something about the questions I have. I am looking at a Winchester O/U, I think a M101, but, not totally sure. It is a Pigeon Grade, but, has some things about it that have me questioning it a bit. Ser # is PK186XXX, it has a Recoil Pad, looks like a Pachmeyer Basket Weave. Fixed Chokes. The barrel is marked Winchester, Pigeon Grade, Made in Japan. The bottom of the receiver is marked Winchester, and has a Pigeon engraved in it. The stock has the rounded pistol grip. The receiver is Blued, rather than Coin Finished. The barrels have several small dents, which look like they were hit by shot. Has this gun been modified by someone? Is it original? Date of manufacture? Thanks for your help.

pete44ru

Hunter

The only Winchester/Miroku Model 101 with a blued receiver AFAIK was the 1985-87 (only) Pigeon Grade Super, which was issued with a profusely-engraved receiver including gold inlays, a pigeon on the action floorplate, and "extra-select" walnut stocks with fleur-di-lis checkering on forend & buttstock.

My older Winchester 101 was made in Olin Kodensha , in Japan, I think it was Toshigi? I remember it from the serial numbers have the K in the prefix, the P was added for the Pigeon Grade models, both the 101 and the 20 ga. Model 96 I had way back, were from there...this was in the late 80s early 90s

Happy New year.... 8) :wink:

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for your responses. While this gun is definitely marked Pigeon Grade, and has fleur-di-lis checkering on the forend & buttstock it has no gold inlay. Due to the barrel damage, it would likely be just a shooter. Seems like many folks think 101's are hard on recoil.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
I have a 101 field grade purchased new in 1968,also marked Olin Kodensha,receiver is blue.Best shotgun I have ever owned,previous was a L.C. Smith specialty grade double,couldn't hit birds worth crap, with the 101,hardly ever missed. :mrgreen:

"Just a shooter" are three of my favorite words. And you could say them about all my guns!

In steel receiver O/U doubles just about the only variable that really affects recoil is the stock fit. If it fits, it won't kick. If it doesn't, your shoulder will get the blues....

deserttrans

Buckeye
The wife purchased me one as gift in 1972. Great gun all these years. I think the price was $329 if I remember correctly.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
deserttrans said:
The wife purchased me one as gift in 1972. Great gun all these years. I think the price was $329 if I remember correctly.

Just about what I paid 4 yrs earlier,would have to look but I think the price is still on the box.

I thought that the Winchester 101s were produced at Olin Kodensha, not Miroku. Miroku is where the Japanese Brownings are made (and Miroku shotguns sold outside the US).

The Olin Kodensha factory was where the Parker Reproductions were made as well. If I recall correctly, the factory was shuttered by Olin and then torn down. The 101s were/are very nice guns. I have a .257 Roberts o/u rifle they made around the same time the Model 23s and "Classic Doubles" 101 were made. They also made a baby frame .410 101 that was a beautiful gun. A friend had one and I always admired it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
As to the "small dents"... have a Shotgun 'smith examine the interior of the barrels and choke threads. Of course the OP has not posted location (RTFR), but I recommend Schupbach's in Jackson MI. A couple of the best shotgun gunsmiths I have found in my travels. 517-782-8414