Bushnell Phantom Scopes: Still Viable Or A Relic From Past ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Walter Rego

Single-Sixer
The old Bushnell Phantom scopes for handguns in 1.3X and 2.5X seem to be fairly inexpensive on ebay and when seen at gun shows. Are they still a viable choice for plinking and informal shooting or hopelessly outdated compared to even the off brand, inexpensive handgun scopes available today ?

pete44ru

Hunter

FWIW, in over 50 years of using various Bushnell scopes, I've never had any issues with one - which speaks to their durability.

I like them as"scout" scopes on rifles, not so much on a handgun.

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Had a Smith 6" Model 53 22 Jet with a Bushnell Phantom scope. The mount was spring steel sheet metal that snapped around the top strap and the mount on the scope clamped to two ears in the spring steel and tightened it all up. The cylinder had plenty of clearance. The high pitched sound of that revolver going off was horrible.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I have one that sees occasional use on my MKII. Mounts for these can be hard to find today. I used a pair of Weaver tip-off .22 rings for a 7/8 in scope and mounted them upside-down on the barrel. Works like a champ.

MKII2.jpg

Snake45 said:
I have one that sees occasional use on my MKII. Mounts for these can be hard to find today. I used a pair of Weaver tip-off .22 rings for a 7/8 in scope and mounted them upside-down on the barrel. Works like a champ.

Clever!

:mrgreen:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Snake45 said:

Clever!

:mrgreen:
AND, they're see-through, so I can use the iron sights under them, too! :wink:

As David Letterman used to say back when he was still funny, "There is no OFF position on the genius switch, my friend." :wink: