OM 45 Brass frame.............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

as often said, never know what will walk in the door at ANY given show.....well Saturday this BKH45 B came in the door at our local show here in Ohio and yes, it is on the list of factory brass frame guns so we worked out a swap and it lives here for while,temporary custodian ......

yKV9saRl.jpg

8) :roll: :wink:

Amen to that 'Splitz', but after him talking about and showing it off all summer, and past 3-4 gun shows to boot, he finally saw the S&W 29 44 mag in the presentation case I had,loved the nickel finish and him really being a "Smiff" kinda guy, saw the errors of his way, done deal....... 8) :wink:

He REALLY wanted this,BUT.......................

RwSoL0Nm.jpg

S&W 44 Hand Ejector model of 1926 3rd issue, 6-1/2 inch , nickel finish, 44 special, made in 1931
:roll:

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Speaking of the brass grip frame 45 Colt caliber, does the factory letter state : 7 1/2" barrel or 4 5/8" barrel? Reason I ask is: I have an OM brass framed cal 45 Colt that letters only with the 4 5/8" barrel and the piece has a 7 1/2" barrel! Barrel has never been changed. I have owned the piece all of its life. The factory will not budge in its position on barrel length. Spoke at length with the nice lady doing research and she stands firm on the records; no work order indicating a factory barrel change. Flood destroyed many, many records years ago. I know what I know but cannot back it up with documents other than it left the factory with a brass grip frame wearing a 4 5/8" barrel.

Nice looking piece you have there, I must say. Nice!

Would you share part of the serial number with me to see how close they are. Not many brass framed produced by factory. Dugard's book added some mystery to fray also.

Regards

contender

Ruger Guru
The flood damaged records happened long before the production of the OM 45's.

What did Dougan's book say about your gun? There is a mis-print concerning the serial numbers being crossed in the original publication. There was an Addendum to correct mistakes in the book. From the Addendum; "Page 380,, Brass frame .45 Blackhawk; the 4-5/8" and 7-1/2" barrel column headings are reversed."
Just a thought.

kevin masten

Blackhawk
What I am saying is that Ruger goes by the mistake , apparently, and will not deviate from it. Whether the flood occurred before the production of the OMBH brass frames or not , Ruger uses that as an excuse for a lack of records or the inability to produce them. I have spoken at length with Ruger and get nowhere. Not trying to start a fight , I was just curious about the OM in question . The serial of the OM that lettered as a 45/8" and not a 71/2" which it is, is 45-192XX which falls within the parameters of Dugans book on brass frames.

The flood loss simply referenced that if the piece had been sent in for a barrel change, there is no record, ie, work order. Probably will never get accurate records on the 45/8" vs 71/2". Hoping someone had a similar experience as mine.

street

Hunter
I was at the Salem VA guns show and came across an Old Model .45 Blackhawk with a Brass Frame 4 5/8 in. bl. The serial number was 45-21097. Dougans book shows it to be a 7 1/2 gun. Is this another case of Dougan getting the numbers mixed with the wrong barrel lengths?

kevin masten

Blackhawk
I would certainly think it would be the case. My frustration with the Dugans book listing apparently bring transversed, Ruger cannot or will not correct the mistake. Ruger also states there are no records available to support any factory changes made to the pieces that are lettered incorrectly, ie 4 5/8 vs 7 1/2" barrels. The kind lady tells me that probably the barrel was changed sometime in the past! I know that is not the case! Oh well.

Your example sort of nails the issue down, in that the records are incorrect, as I see it they are transversed. Error by the author? Probably. Kinda frustrating , though. Some things you can change; some you cannot. It would probably be very costly, to Ruger, to research and corrrct, if they could. This is way in the past and Ruger has moved on.

Regards

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Maybe redundant..............has anyone looked at the addendum that Dougan published and which was noted on our forum? While no longer available on line(removed or whatever) there are copies out there. Mine is lost in my ragged "where the hell is it ? " filing systems, but I have one on the way from friend Mr Contender. Perhaps that will assist....(IT came in!).....IE: (and I quote)"Page 380 ....Brass frame .45 Blackhawk: the 4 5/8 and 7 1/2" barrel column headings are reversed" Dougan goes on to say that data Can be confirmed in the computer spread sheets also known as the day books....Now, think about that statement. If one can have access to the inspection sheet data and the day book, going beyond the brass frame issues, should'nt the noted data source also include the barrel length information?

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Regarding the brass frame post. I , initially ,brought this question up some several months ago. This after I had my OMBH ,wearing a brass grip frame, lettered by Ruger as a 4 5/8" barrel not as a 7 1/2" barrel as it is. Dugan apparently reversed the revolvers in his published book. I have not seen nor read his correction. The problem is: Ruger will not change the information they have to correctly reflect the revolvers as they exist. I was hammered hard by a few that the barrel had been switched. That did not happen! Then Ruger advised me that records no longer exist thst would have shown a work order. Then I was told those records were destroyed before OMBH were even manufactured! Ruger still told me that any records that might have shown a work order to change the barrel no longer exists. I have accepted the fact that Ruger will not change their records no matter what! There are not that many Black Hawks in 45 LC. The Brass grip frames are uncommon of that there is no doubt. I cherish mine regardless .

street

Hunter
If anyone has the addendum to Dougan's book please copy it to a JPEG and post it here as I would love to have a copy of it. Thanks in advance.

contender

Ruger Guru
street,,
I'm computer stupid,, so I don't know how to copy it to a jpeg and post it here. BUT,, I can copy it & mail you a copy,,,!

street

Hunter
contender said:
street,,
I'm computer stupid,, so I don't know how to copy it to a jpeg and post it here. BUT,, I can copy it & mail you a copy,,,!
Thanks, I sent you a PM.