How do other Forum members

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kevin masten

Blackhawk
store their vintage handgun boxes to prevent oxidation of the paper or at least slow it down to preserve the boxes, some of which are getting expensive, for as long as possible. I preserve mine in a certain way and want to know how you guys do it . I am aware that the modern method of making paper involves an acid process that leaves an acid residue that slowly renders the paper into cellulose . Perhap I can pick up a new or different method from some of you guys.

Thanks a lot

Johnnu2

Hunter
I hate to admit this, but I actually keep mine in a good (old) hard covered suitcase in my attic. It does close tightly, but nothing is special about it. I find it hard to believe myself, but my boxes are still pristine when I take one out to go with a gun I've sold. My attic has no special protection other than it is dry and well vented. Depending on the season, it's humid, hot and cold in our part of NY. Forgot to mention that some of the boxes have been in my attic(s) for 40+ years and show no signs of deterioration. Rifle boxes just sit unprotected in the attic and, so far, have not been damaged (not even bugs etc). go figure............
J

contender

Ruger Guru
Many of us collectors vacuum pack, or wrap in cellophane. Plus,, for general storage,, I also place my good boxes in another cheap box for crush protection, as well as general protection. (I have found that the Winchester primer case lot boxes are excellent for Ruger cardboard box protection. I unfold them, reverse them, re-fold them, and then I have a plain brown cardboard box, similar to the original shippers to put them in.)

chilidog

Single-Sixer
I bought containers to store Christmas trees after Christmas one year in Walmart . Just long enough to store rifle boxes in.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I agree with the above I have the christmas tree boxes as well. I put both rifle and pistol boxes in mines and some others are just in the safe with the guns. Nothing special really

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I threw mine in the dump. Not kidding I really did when I moved once. You collectors all should thank me because I just made yours all that more rare!