A few Colt 1908 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

awsomepossum

Bearcat
Hello Gang,

I never thought I would have acquired a Colt 1908 in 380 but I did it. The serial number is 627XX and dates to 1923 from my knowledge. Finish is a little rough, but hasn't been chromed or sportized. Do the grips and mag look original to this year model? There is also, a letter w and a triangle p on the frame, I assume just proofs. What would be a fair market value on this Colt? Also is it worth it to get a factory letter from colt and see where it was originally shipped to ? Here's a youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksp5rdLuvEQ

looks good, and the finish is the original, a more "black" than blue , proper for that era,,,,same with the grips, the 'escutcheons' around the grip screw. The markings are "proof/inspector ' marks....as to value they run all around the board, ,here, in that condition in the $500-600 range..............
mint shape, boxed we've seen them pushing $1500.......some are even US marked (officers guns) and that will drive up the price...it's a nice one, a "keeper"........ 8) :wink:

Colt letters can be a bit pricey, would be OK if the gun was NICER........ :roll:

pete44ru

Hunter

I like your Colt - I had one once upon a time, but it wasn't as nice as yours.

I like small/vintage .380 Pocket Auto's - here's my pristine .380 Browning Model 1955.

3zAdjpDl.jpg

rQHLSJfl.jpg

awsomepossum

Bearcat
It looks really good to me for being about 95 years old. I love how well built the 1908 is and am super excited to go shoot it. I am very tempted to pick a colt vest 1908 In 25 acp. Lastly, the colt letter looks like it will cost $ 75 dollars, so that isn't too bad.

thats not too bad, some time ago the Colt letters had gotten as high as $300 ...not for me......

as for shooting? I'd "maybe" try it out, but as they are LONG gone, parts and service ,little and NONE and those grips can and will "crack and break on you.......I know, NC Ord. makes a replacement grips and they do a fair ly good job,BUT they are NOT "original".........I retired my Colt years ago, have seen slides cracked ( 45 acp) when the material finally ages, work hardens, some guys shoot hot loads???whatever........
yes, test fire it, make sure it works, and save it.........................just MY 2 cents :wink: