Alexander Sturm Problem Fox figurine ( pictures added )

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
I was informed about a Sturm fox figurine that just sold on Ebay yesterday. I looked at the auction and noticed the lettering is different than those currently known and the finish looks more porous than the others known. Just wondering who ended up with it. Looks like 4 different bidders were on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-3-VINTAGE-CHIHUAHUA-DOG-FIGURINES-ONE-DATED-1941-signed-ALEXANDER-STURM-/292700266268?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137
413993884.jpg

413993883.jpg

413993882.jpg

413993881.jpg

Rick
You will need to search over at the Chihuahua Collectors dot com forum to find the owner. :D

radicalrod

Hunter
Well looks like the prototype to me.....doesn't look like it is die cast metal....

That one looks like ol Alex made it himself.....way KOOL.....RR

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Rod, those are my thoughts exactly. Not necessarily a prototype but maybe the original statuette. I just wonder if it's a pottery type material. I always thought Justin Sturm actually was the one who made them. I've seen other work by him and noticed the similarity. Need to compare signatures.

radicalrod

Hunter
jimbo1096 said:
Do you think the person offering up the items was surprised by the $510 selling price? I'll bet!

Well I am sure it would have brought more if Rick, Terry and a few others had seen it...…

I usually don't search for CHIUWAWA dog statues...ya I know I spelled that wrong :mrgreen: RR

radicalrod

Hunter
RPM Enterprises said:
contender said:
If this is the original or prototype,,, wow. I just hope it shows up for more of us to see it!
Ty, what would you think it would be worth if it is the original sculpture?

Well I'm not TY but I think "PRICELESS" to a die hard Sturm/Ruger collector such as yourself....I would rather have this than some guns....but that's just me...YMMV...RR

contender

Ruger Guru
Rick, like RR,,, I'd think priceless to a few of us die hard collectors.

And I think you may be onto something,,, about the signatures etc. I sure hope it does show up in one of our collectors hands & gets to visit us!

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Rick,
I'm not Ty either, :wink:
I don't know if you remember a couple of years ago the one that came up on ebay? It was the only one I have ever seen offered for sale.
He started out as I remember well above 1K and kept coming down with his BN price. I was following it and he got down to 1K, and had no takers so he put it back in the safe,and I did not save his name or contact info and to the best of my knowledge he never offered it again.

Was it worth the 1K ? Yes I think it was but I could not pull the trigger, :oops: I held out hoping he would do one more drop in his BN.
That was my mistake sorry to say. If this is authentic which I have no reason to believe it isn't, I would say its value is in the 1.5 K and up. JMHO.

I wish you well and I know if you learn more you will let us know, thanks for sharing this info.
Terry

PS;- As radical has alluded, " Who would have thought to look in the CHIUWAWA section" :mrgreen:

chet15

Hawkeye
I agree that it looks like an original sculpture. It is not hollow metal like the production foxes, it is solid.
I wouldn't worry too much about how the signature looks...it is cut in there while it was wet so if somebody is just making a model prototype for the metal production run, some things were bound to look different.
I can see a 16-year old Sturm or somebody cutting the signature in there as a spur of the moment thing before it was fired.
Chet15

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
radicalrod said:
Well looks like the prototype to me.....doesn't look like it is die cast metal....

That one looks like ol Alex made it himself.....way KOOL.....RR

my guess was you bought it!!! Can't believe some one beat you to it.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Well I made the deal, here are some pics of the group. buyer was disappointed that it was not a chihuahua, I told him it was a fox and not only that it was a problem fox. So I weighed them and the heaviest came in at 1 lbs. 7 oz.. the others came in at 13.1 to 13.0 ounces. The clay sculpture came in at 10.1 ounces. The guy in the middle actually has the original felt bottom. The sculpture looks like the felt pads were added in a later date. In my opinion I believe that the clay sculpture is the original Sturm created and later made the cast metal statuettes from it for the book.