They're still out there

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to shoot an OM .44 Flattop 10". I was so excited to see one and feel it's surprisingly good balance for shooting, that I neglected to check the serial number. I occasionally find older 3-screws at bargain prices here in yuppie-land, but THIS one was picked-up late last year by a friend in a 'higher end' shop for $450 (+NYS tax). The story goes that it had been languishing in the counter for quite awhile (according to the clerk who pointed it out to my friend upon his arrival). My friend was in a lousy mood and wasn't really interested (even though he collects OM Blackhawks....and everything else under the sun). I believe that he said he passed on it and went home. A few days later he went back to the shop and inquired about the gun; it was still there. He asked the price and the clerk said $450..... He tore his pockets trying to get at his money. The gun appears to be 95% or better; however, he pointed out to me that there appeared to be some light pitting on the top strap under the blueing (now, that begs the question: was it re-blued?). It didn't appear to be re-blued anywhere that I could see (without really looking carefully), but WHO CARES for $450, an unmolested .44 FT 10".... It didn't come with it's original grips, instead had a very nice pair of stags that would have passed for factory originals if they had the medallions....Still, they alone would be worth $250 (they had exceptional bark and fit perfectly on the gun. They're still out there...........

contender

Ruger Guru
Stuff like that happens more often in places where there are fewer gun folks than available guns. I'd LOVE to be able to set up a shop specializing in buying used guns in places where guns are frowned upon. I just couldn't stand to live in a place like that, much less afford all the goodies that'd likely come my way.

There's the possibility that someone drilled & tapped the top strap for a 'scope mount at some point, and later the holes were welded up and the gun refinished. Close examination of the underside of the top strap might reveal something.

Whatever, it's still a ten-inch .44 Flattie, and well worth the puny $450 he paid for it, even if it HAS been refinished.

JMHO

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'll try to remember to get the serial number and check on the top strap, but I did look pretty closely at the top and there was no indication of holes, just a bit of pitting.... I'll post my findings (perhaps next Wed... :)))
p.s. I had drilled/tapped an old model 45 that Splitz sold me MANY years ago...... Those holes have been taken care of by Dave Clements and then case hardened by Turnbull.... hard to find them today...
J

cas6969

Buckeye
I bought a 44 Flattop a few years ago at a generally over priced LI gunshop. (I usually don't go to gun stores on the island). Looking in the case... "Hmm.. an old Ruger. Oh it's a flattop... oh wow, a .44 , never saw one in a store. They probably want a zillion bucks." Look close... :shock: $325? $375.00 (which?)

Then I do the almost whistling thing trying to look casual.... "Um... yeah, can I see this Ruger?" :D QUICKLY put some money down on it.

It didn't fit me and I didn't enjoy shooting it. Ended up on Gunbroker, one of only a few guns I ever sold and didn't lose money on. Well more than doubled what I paid. Almost felt guilty. Reinvested it in another single action. 8)

hittman

Staff member
My story is a 357 flattop.
Gun store a couple of towns away ..... asked them for old Ruger double actions. Owner said only old Ruger is that "Single Six" in 357 Magnum on the bottom shelf. :?: Huh?

So, I slide over to the case figuring it was a New Model 327 and ...... Blackhawk serial 155xx with 4 5/8 inch barrel in 90% condition. He wouldn't wiggle on the price though so I had to shell out the whole $350.00 he'd placed on the tag. :shock:

street

Hunter
I know that Flattop is a little out of the range but have you checked to see if it is one of the "ROSS" Flattops.

one has to look "carefully" at any so called "pitting" on the top strap especially anywhere near the center, as those are often "crater" marks ( welding divots/voids) and after the reblue will look like "pitting" and as Ale-8 noted somethings if they drilled all the way through ( not a "blind hole") the bottom can and will show where any holes may have been...yes if done correctly and carefully any and all of this can be "covered up" and NOT show a hole ever being there.... 8) :roll: :wink:
( that was MY job.......) 8)

and YES,at $450 that was a "steal" holes ,no holes ,blued or not........... :wink:

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
My still out there story, stopped at Fin, Fur and Feathers on the way back to Columbus from a business trip. I found a Winchester Big Bore in .307 Winchester on the used rack for $199.00. Total production under 2000 units.
Sold it recently in a downsizing move for $750.

Fire or six years ago I had a few minutes to kill in downtown Yuppieville, ie Salem OR, so I walked into one of the few downtown pawnshops and fond on old flat top in the case. I asked to look at it and when I did I realized it was a 7 1/2" gun! A little over 5 bills and it walked out the door with me. Still looking for the next one!