Red black Box for Single six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
I don't know if this is the place to ask , maybe the moderators will move it to the right place.
I have a OM single six convertible manufactured in 1966 6.5" barrel.
if I were to look for an original box to go with it what would the end of the box say the catalog model was?
also did the red velvet bags come with just the extra cylinder?
And was there some wax paper and a owners manual?
Thanks, I thought I would search around but didn't know where to find the Catalog model.
Ron

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
the "M' at the end meaning magnum?
Did they only write the serial number back then on the box edge in white grease pencil?
But the owners manual is "dated" to a year?
Ron

contender

Ruger Guru
I think they kept the "M" as a hold over from making the 22 mag only. They added the "X" on the shipper for the convertibles. Remember, they didn't waste boxes, and used similar boxes for different guns. Sometimes with printed, stick on, paste over labels.

By then, they were marking the sides of the boxes with white grease pencils with the serial number.

Manuals were not printed each year. Manuals were printed when revisions, or different models were done. One manual can cover several years. It's when you get a gun made during a transition of printing that you need the month & year of production to get the correct manual.

I know the original post says single-six but need to be sure it's not a super single-six - in that case it would need an SC6 box. How about a s/n for said gun? Probably would help narrow down things.

contender said:
I think they kept the "M" as a hold over from making the 22 mag only.

Yeah, I think you're right. I have never fully appreciated Ruger's numbering system. An RSS6 would have made more sense and distinguished between the "magnum only" predecessors and the following convertibles. But it is what it is, and is all part of Rugerlore.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

here is what you need, ......

l1RpDwgm.jpg

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
Ok, I am confused, The picture is missing from RugerGuy posting.
The Single six I have was sold new with the 2 cylinders and is a 6.5 " barrel serial dates to 1966.

Only Box I have is the Brown one Ruger sends with them after a conversion, I would like to find and original box and manual but would like the proper one. what would the end tag say on it?

Ron

pete44ru

Hunter

The real question is: "Is your gun a Single-Six, or a Super Single-Six ?"

Different models will have been issued with different end labels.

The Super has a fully-adjustable rear sight, protected by "wings" atop the cylinder frame, with the sight tucked in between.

The Single-Six does not.

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
Thanks, sorry for not being clear, it is the Single six, only my rear sight is adjustable for left and right dirt with a punch. and no "wings".
Ron

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
I am guess it is a red and black box with the label saying " Single Six".22 caliber Revolver W.M.R. Catalog No. RSSM
6 1/2" Bbl.? and I need a Single six manual dated 1965?
Ron

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
Thanks Dan, Yea I just missed one on the bid site and I did miss one of the 1965 manuals too same day.
Just my good luck.
Ron

sorry to hear you missed out on them,,,,I will keep an eye on any for you at the show this coming weekend...by the way, the ones you missed out on, just how much did they get for the box and /or the manual??? though at times any auction can be on the higher side ( it only takes two drunks bidding on the same thing)....or there is the "pucker factor" ( just HOW BAD does someone want something) 8) :roll: :wink:

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
Dan the guy that had the box had the right one, it was an "acceptable box, since I am not looking for anything new,
A little scotch tape to repair the edges and it would have been fine for me, it went for under $25.00 I was not around the PC at the time.
The book I found on the completed auctions side and sent the guy an email since it was unsold from a month ago and he emailed back that he did and it was listed at $6.95 shipped from Kansas.
So I asked if I could buy it and instead of selling me the book he re-listed it for that price and before he could tell me that he did it and the auction number it was sold,
That is the kind of luck I have
But at least someone got what they needed. so All was not lost.
Gary I am sending you a PM.