First day Red Eagle value? Pics up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
Hello all,

I need some help and opinions as to the value of one of the first seven pistols shipped on Oct. 6th by Ruger. According to Mr. Dougan's book there were 111 pistols completed by Ruger as of Oct. 6th. Seven of those pistols were shipped on that afternoon, numbers 0119, 0143, 0147, 0169, 0196, 0216, and 0219. The pistol I have is #0219.

I would consider this pistol to be in very good condition. I do have the correct box for the gun but it is not the box numbered to the gun. There is currently one for sale in the classifieds and the box I have is in similar condition if not slightly better. I do not have any paperwork with the gun, but I do have an original catalog/brochure from 1949 that is in very good condition. It has a handwritten address on it that is very likely Bill Ruger's writing.

I have a pretty good idea what Red eagle pistols are worth, and what the box is worth, and what the catalog is worth. What I would really like to figure out is how much, if any, value is added for being a first day gun. My thought is that considering the millions and millions of Ruger guns that have been sold over the years, a first day gun should bring some sort of a premium.

I am currently having a problem with photobucket, I will post some pictures when I get that straightened out.

Thank you very much for any input you can provide. I have always respected and valued the amount of knowledge and experience that the members of this forum have on the subject of guns. Any information on this gun will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

street

Hunter
RENE list a 3 digit serial number Red Eagle at $1350, and the early hinged Standard Auto box at $170. Being that this gun was one of the first Rugers ever shipped from the factory then that should add a premium to that $1350. How much will be determined by the "PUCKER FACTOR." If one as a collector doesn't put a whole lot of significance on it being shipped on the first day then they wouldn't pay much of a premium. On the other side if a collector would put a lot of significance on it being shipped on the first day then they would pay a big premium:

A first model Red Eagle is listed at $825 per the RENE: :?
A 3 digit Red Eagle is listed at $1350 :shock:
A 2 digit Red Eagle is listed at $3000 :D

As there are 90, 2 digit guns, I think I'm right on this, and only 7 pistols shipped the first day I would think they would be a least worth what a 2 digit gun would be worth. Of course this is true if you put a lot of significance on being shipped on the first day. :roll:

I think you will find that the first red eagles were shipped ONLY in a salt cod box, and the gun itself, was wrapped in newspapers, inside,,,,, the hinged boxes did not come out till later, and they fit into the salt cod box ( shipper).....

and as for value, just what 'street' alludes to, the "pucker factor" 8) :roll: :wink:

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
I thought it should be a salt cod gun too, but for whatever reason the book does not list it as one. 0119 is not listed as salt cod either, but the other 5 are. Could it be that it was shipped locally? Or was it picked up from the factory? Or maybe it was sold to an employee? I have no idea.

I also have no idea how to move photos from photobucket to the forum using a mac. After my fourth PC quit me for no reason I went to the mac. I love it so far but haven't figured everything out yet. When I am on photobucket and I select a picture to move to the forum it won't let me select the IMG option. I will keep working on it.

yes, may it was shipped later, some of the low number guns were that way, and if "locally" would not need to be sent "REA", thus no shipper (salt cod box) but 'duh' it would ( should) have some sort of box, and as I said the hinged boxes came later, BUT how much later???
Chad, what SAY yee...................???

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
yes, may it was shipped later, some of the low number guns were that way, and if "locally" would not need to be sent "REA", thus no shipper (salt cod box) but 'duh' it would ( should) have some sort of box, and as I said the hinged boxes came later, BUT how much later???
Chad, what SAY yee...................???

I am not sure what it was shipped in, I wish I knew. I just figured if it wasn't salt cod it must be the hinged box. Also, after looking at the pics my box isn't as good as I remembered, but it was the only one I could locate at the time!

Ruger45

Blackhawk
I am by no means an expert. I thought the cod box was just for rail shipping? The one cod box I know of I believe had a cardboard box inside. I stand corrected on both and the one cod box I know of did not have a cardboard box inside.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
warbird1975,

For what it is worth, I obtained Red Eagle #0220 (no box) just over a year ago. I did not find it in any of Mr. Dougan's charts. I contacted Mr. Dougan and he was able to provide some info on #0220 that did not make the book. (Assembled 10/17/49 and shipped 10/22/49 to an individual.) Perhaps he has something more on your gun.

SATCOM

It is a twin to yours in every way!

Here's the sick part, I have a salt cod box and gun, and SER# 0600 NO salt cod box,
and an EXTRA salt cod box......looking for a gun to put into it!

I want that gun !.....LOL

one would think there would be a premium for a first day gun...I do.....scott

Scott

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
SATCOM said:
warbird1975,

For what it is worth, I obtained Red Eagle #0220 (no box) just over a year ago. I did not find it in any of Mr. Dougan's charts. I contacted Mr. Dougan and he was able to provide some info on #0220 that did not make the book. (Assembled 10/17/49 and shipped 10/22/49 to an individual.) Perhaps he has something more on your gun.

SATCOM

It is a twin to yours in every way!

Boy that would sure make a nice consecutive pair!

I have not contacted Mr. Dougan, but maybe I will try.

Thank you guys for the input, I appreciate it!

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
street said:
RENE list a 3 digit serial number Red Eagle at $1350, and the early hinged Standard Auto box at $170. Being that this gun was one of the first Rugers ever shipped from the factory then that should add a premium to that $1350. How much will be determined by the "PUCKER FACTOR." If one as a collector doesn't put a whole lot of significance on it being shipped on the first day then they wouldn't pay much of a premium. On the other side if a collector would put a lot of significance on it being shipped on the first day then they would pay a big premium:

A first model Red Eagle is listed at $825 per the RENE: :?
A 3 digit Red Eagle is listed at $1350 :shock:
A 2 digit Red Eagle is listed at $3000 :D

As there are 90, 2 digit guns, I think I'm right on this, and only 7 pistols shipped the first day I would think they would be a least worth what a 2 digit gun would be worth. Of course this is true if you put a lot of significance on being shipped on the first day. :roll:

I know what you mean about the pucker factor. That one guy in Alaska eluded to possibly finding the #200 hawkeye and my pucker factor went way up! I am always looking for #200 guns and the hawkeye would be at the top of my list! That gun would be worth more to me than probably anybody else.

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
mr.deerstalker said:
Here's the sick part, I have a salt cod box and gun, and SER# 0600 NO salt cod box,

Scott

Man!! Find that #200 Hawkeye and maybe we can get something figured out!!

Take care, stay warm!

Mike

street

Hunter
mr.deerstalker said:

Scott
Scott! I once owned that Red Eagle, serial number 0600. I sold it to the "Potato Farmer" :D along with a bunch more guns. Oh! By the way that was a very nice Red Eagle! :D Glad it found a good home.

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I know 0153 was shipped in a COD BOX and the gun was wrapped in newspaper....

I chased this gun for a while but I think it now lives in VA with a fellow RF member...

I don't think they had the hinged boxes available when they shipped the first guns....

Someone NEEDS to PUT 0219 and 0220 together....I can't stand it any longer :? :? :? RR