SUPER BLACKHAWK BRASS GRIP FRAME

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ready05

Bearcat
DID RUGER EVER PRODUCE A SUPER BLACKHAWK BRASS GRIP FRAME? WHAT IS THE COST OF ONE? THANK YOU..

BRASS FRAME

Single-Sixer
Ready05. Yes, the factory made a solid brass grip frame for the "old model" single action revolvers. I happen to have one for sale in a box with a wide trigger. If you are interested, send an email to [email protected]
Lee E.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Ready05,

I echo my good friend's BrassFrame's comments. I'm not sure if you're asking about just the gripframe or if you're asking about the actual Super Blackhawk 44 mag with a factory brass gripframe installed on it. Both existed, with the latter being much scarcer.

BB45C

There were perhaps only a hundred or so non-prefixed Old Model Supers, model number S47B, shipped with brass grip frames and probably verifiable as such. There were perhaps 1,500 or so of the 80-prefix guns shipped, but these are probably not verifiable. This info is from the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume One, Third Revision. As BB45C mentions, the brass, square-backed grip frames were also sold as accessories, along with the wide, Super Blackhawk type trigger mentioned by BRASS FRAME above.

:D

41 nut

Bearcat
Ale-8(1), I think you are a bit high on your estimate of 100 or so non prefix brass supers manufactured. From the number of known ones in collections that have been verified I doubt if there were a total of two dozen manufactured. They are the scarcest of the brass guns.

As I said, I was referring to info in the RENE Reference. The operative word there is "perhaps". Chad also allows as how there MAY have been a single S46B, as well.

Obviously, I have no personal knowledge of how many were made.

:D

flatgate

Hawkeye
162714758.jpg

Also sold as an accessory in the mid '60's up through '72 or early '73 IIRC.

flatgate

Hey Flatgate,
If you bought the brass grip frame from Ruger, Did you still have to polisih it out and fit it? It looks like the one you have still needs polished out. :roll:
All I have is take offs or on shipped brass framed guns. These are already polished and fitted :D
Thanks,
Jim

flatgate

Hawkeye
162714765.jpg

Note that the "fitted" grip frames have grip dowels whereas the "NIB" example does not.

Yes, as Splitz has noted, a bit of elbow grease was required....

flatgate

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Here's a boxed brass frame accessory with neat shipping info. note that this was shipped in 1970 when the OM's were still in production:

Brass-Frame-Box-b.jpg

These next frames were ordered by a gunsmith in 1975 after the OM's were discontinued. The guy I got these from ordered 5 and still had these 3 left years later when he was closing his shop. Note that these were "bulk packed" in the same oil wrap paper used to wrap the OM and early NM guns:

12925470.jpg

Hey Guys
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that you had to polish them out.
You would think for that HIGH price of $20.00 they would come polished :D :D
I think the brass looks great on the blue guns.
Hey WMG I'll give you $25.00 for your boxed one. That should cover 38 years of inflation :wink:
Thanks Guys,
Jim

cbraemer1

Bearcat
I have a .45 NM Blackhawk, made in 1997, SR#47-68053, a very nice shooter! I just want to spif it up a little.

It has that awful aluminum powder-coated gripframe and ejector rod, chipped and flaking. I'd LOVE to swap the gripframe for a BRASS SBH Dragoon style (squareback trigger guard) frame. Can't find one anywhere! Any ideas? Factory is nice but aftermarket is fine if it's good quality.

Also want to swap out the hammer for the SBH hammer, and replace the crappy aluminum black ejector rod with a blued steel one...unless I can actually find the rumored-but-never-seen brass ejector rod.....

Help is much appreciated!