Mark 1 with hinged box and shipper

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
This just came in the mail today. I have been looking for a nice black eagle gun in the 25XXX range. Ruger Mark 1 in its original box and shipper along with the paper work. Serial number 25715.

Mark1hingedboxandshipper001.jpg

Also had an interesting note I have never seen on the parts manual :shock:

Mark1hingedboxandshipper005.jpg

street

Hunter
That has to be one of the first few hundred Black Eagle MK-I made. And that box and the shipper. Has to be one of the hardest Auto boxes to find.

GREAT FIND

What's the date on the paperwork?

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
David, The only date is at the begining of the parts list. It is written effective July 1 1950. I have never seen a manual like this one. As you can see the end of the parts list talks about a micro sight. I would have to look at others to compare but I just don't reconize the others being listed like that. Also the paper is very thin..

Mark1hingedboxandshipper007.jpg

Mark1hingedboxandshipper008.jpg

Mark1hingedboxandshipper009.jpg

street

Hunter
Chad's book shows that this is the second set of paperwork for the MK-I. The first was like yours but without the red Magazine note. That would be the paperwork for the Red Eagle MK-I. Again a great find.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Chad, Due to the age of the shipper it is hard to read. But 6 7/8" BARREL is stamped on the side of the box and written in pencil next to the stamp is the guns serial number. No other factory markings that I can see other than an address written in pecncil as well. The stamping is about 1/4" sized letters.

Mark1hingedboxandshipper010.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Cool stuff Rick! And neat history!
Yes, that marking sounds about right in those days (though that's the first time I've heard of a sleeve that early). Ruger kept their sleeve stamps simple because they didn't need to say a whole lot with those stamps.
The first single-six sleeves in 1953 were marked only "REVOLVER", to differentiate between the 3 auto models they were also making at the time. When the first .357 Blackhawks were shipped, they were also stamped with only "REVOLVER" on the sleeve, but somebody handwrote ".357" above the stamp.
With more introductions though, those sleeve stamps had to evolve as well!
Again....NEAT STUFF!
So I'll bet, if a 5-1/4" sleeve exists, it probably only says 5 1/4" BARREL.
Anybody have an early 4-3/4" sleeve out there? Do they only say 4 3/4" BARREL?
Chet15