Pre production Red Label question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LadySundance

Bearcat
I own a pre production Red Label 20 guage over and under skeet and skeet. I purchased the gun in 1978 with a low pre production seriel number in the 500's. New in box, never been fired, all original paperwork. I am currently looking to liquidate this piece and would appreciate any information on the gun such as availiablity and worth.

Thanks

LadySundance

I'm kind of a red label expert or at least very knowledgeable so please don't take offense with my questions

Why are you saying this is pre-production/ It likely is not. It's just an early Sn and Ruger does not ship in SN order. I have sn 103 & 175

Your box should be the banjo type, not rectangular

No collectible really I've had trouble getting 1000 for them on gunbroker.

choked M/IC seem to bring the most, then SK/SK

F/M the least in my experience

as said above, just a low serial number, see no mention of just what box your gun did come in, my low number ones are all brown, banjo style (tapered) boxes and figure they are in the $900 to $1200 range, condition is everything and we too have found them to be a tough sell, with the 'fixed chokes'........still hanging onto our 2 and 3 digit guns, really like them,mainly in the 20 ga size, have a few also later 12 ga guns, also in the 2 and 3 digit serial number range...........

Good luck

heres a picture of the early 'banjo 'style box...............

RedLabeldisplayd.jpg

RedLabeldisplaya.jpg

yeah, we been collecting and later displaying them since 1977 ourselves...... :wink:

LadySundance

Bearcat
Thanks for reply. I was told it was a pre production and I don't know why they said that I think because of the sn. The box is banjo style. I appreciated your information and I am looking forward to getting more information on the guns I am going to liquidate.

LadySundance

Bearcat
thanks for the information. This is very helpful. I also have a M77 458 in mint condition. Made In 200th Year Of Liberty. Anything you can tell me about price and availability would be appreciated.

well me being 'left handed' I have stayed away from most of the Ruger rifles and never really "followed" them, yes, some are very scarce and as such, get a bigger value, you say a 458 so I'm guessing its a "Tropical"??? those have much nicer stocks, neat sights on them, big heavy barrels and are a premium around here anyway..............last one we saw sold for $900 "used" but in mint shape, no box........ask in the rifle section for more info/data or under a different "post"topic as the rifle guys may NOT look under this thread of the Red Labels...

Good luck