Value question on boxes numbered to the Gun vs add on boxes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
I'm asking this question because the first collectable Ruger I found had it's box numbered to the gun; a 4 5/8's '70's Single Six. I have since acquired a few more with their original boxes, plus acquired boxes to go with some. In the RENE value guide there's values for separate guns and boxes and values for certain guns, like the White box Super's, that include the original box in the value. It seems like having a gun with an original box numbered to it would be more valuable then the two separate values added together for the same gun and box combination. Does this seem logical and if so, what kind of premium would most attach. It can't be a flat figure, as that wouldn't reflect rarity and condition, but rather a percentage maybe, like 5% or so of the total value. Anyone got feelings or opinions one way or another on this, all would be welcome?
Thanks,
HH

BlackEye

Single-Sixer
Others with greater knowledge will chime in. One question would be, where did the unmarked boxes come from? Did Ruger ship the guns without marking that you are asking about in numbers? A really nice, original 'package' with a 'plain' box should pretty much be full value I would think. Having the shipper should be another category.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
Blackeye,
The add on boxes aren't unmarked, they are from shipped guns but have long since been separated from those guns and are offered on sites like e-bay and Gunbroker, etc. And the question is, what's the "premium" worth for an original package.
HH

BlackEye

Single-Sixer
That is the question. If shipped without being numbered, and the package is original, how much would a factory numbered box add, that number being the only difference?
The boxes without numbering were still original when shipped. I assume you are referring to the crayon s/n on the box?

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's usually quite simple to "upgrade" a generic box so it appears to be the "as shipped" example.

I don't get all that excited over a "properly numbered" box except when dealing with "hard to find/hard to adjust" box numbers.........

Of course some boxes are worth a heck of a lot more money than others. The overall package's value can be significantly enhanced if the proper box is present.

This is a very complex topic with many variables to consider. I don't believe that one can answer your question in "generic terms". Each situation is different.

JMHO,

flatgate

its not a question of "excitement", it is the FACT the box that is numbered to the gun and NOT "re-renumbered,redone" but as it left the factory is the ORIGINAL and as such, then to a 'purist' of true collectors, there would be a "premium" and as Steve said , it all depends on just what the item in question is, BIG difference from an RSS5 and a white boxed Super, WITH the outer sleeve....there is NO "cut & dry " figure, or amount as to what exactly is the "premium".....just MORE $$$$

and to answer Blackeyes question, they are ALL numbered/marked....some on the box as well as the shipper, some the shipper only in the later days, in fact LATE into the 80's they didn't even put an end label on the black /yellow box that was inside the shipper, ala Vaqueros........ :roll:
More confusion.................. :wink:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Here are a few facts: First, the white or black china marked numbers on two pc. boxes would come off, or, be removed easily, with a gentle form of lube, (ala WD40 on a pc. of cloth); Second, lead pencil numbers could be removed easily with a gum rubber eraser(could also be replaced with a #2 lead pencil); Third, some boxes never had numbers on them in the first place, or, if you were a later owner, you did not know about what was there, or not, on "day one"; Last, nuimbers have never driven me over the edge and are the last of my concerns. After 44+ years, numbers only concern me when they are stamped on the gun............ 8)

there you go , three corners out of a four cornered box, so far.............
and ALL good, solid ,valid points, its the "premium" YOU want to put on any given situation, and how much YOU want to spend...and if your selling , you'll find out real quickly what is what and what is not....... :wink:

Like 'splitz' alludes to, many if NOT most folks, the users and the shooters could care LESS about ANY numbers, "except those on the gun..." :roll:
and the real collector, who "knows" what he is buying and looking at, KNOWS the difference between the original and a remarked box, and pays accordingly ( believe me, they'll TELL you........) 8)

now get me a green wreath LW box and I don't give a rats patootie WHATS marked on it :shock:

or the white boxed Super, OR an RSSE 'split shipper' OR......... :?:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've been collecting Ruger revolvers for quite some time. I think I've finally graduated from the "newbie" class to the "intermediate" class, i.e. I can tell a New Model box from an Old Model box, sorta, most of the time, if I get lucky.

There are some boxes I've yet to to acquire for my menial pile of keepers. Green Wreath Lightweight, White Box Super, two toned RSSE linings, blue lined RSS9's, ad nauseum. Does it bother me that I don't have these items? Nah, a guy just can't have 'em all! I've been truly blessed to have obtained the modest pile of stuff I do have!

One of the best features of Ruger Forum are the Members themselves. We have a wonderful cross section of America here and they like to share their lives with us, their "extended families"! Some of the images are breathtaking, some are sad. Some are unbelievable! :D

MoranBigLR.jpg

flatgate

h bone

Bearcat
I agree with everyone, it just depends, if it is a rare piece then the box won't matter. However if, like Rugerguy stated, it is the entire complete package then that will certainly bring a premium. But in most cases the box is a plus or an inducement to close the deal.

Thank you Henry, the "fourth corner" of our box of opinions........ :roll:

and yes, same here, for all the years of collecting, my wife still does NOT have a "original salt cod" box and ALL the red eagles she has owned over the years, AND has all the variations, and they are all 'boxed.,,BUT NO shipper ( the salt cod box) so see it happens..........

Henry good to hear and see you on the Forum...greetings Sir, its been a while :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
For us anyway, we never had to pay any extra because a gun was with its original box or because it had a box that was correct, just not numbered to it (rare cases).
Believe me...I had no qualms abot putting the five early hinged red eagle boxes that were found in the back of a New York gun store with five of the red eagle variations that we had. And yes, some of those never had a number on them.
I also have no qualms about finding a 7-1/2" .44 flattop box or 10" box in either .44 or .357 and putting it with a gun that severely begs for a box. Regardless of what number is on it, this helps the gun sell to the next owner. So to us, it was just important they be boxed.
I do know a couple "purest" Ruger collectors however that will pay a big premium for guns that have their original boxes and shipping sleeves (certain variations), especially if they are what we call "CRISPY", meaning they look just as fresh as when they leave the factory. However, this is a certain breed of collector who represents a tiny portion of all collectors. So to them, it is more of a "pucker factor"
You will have to choose though, because some boxes are so rare, 95% or better of the Ruger collectors out there will never find certain boxes for their guns, after all, it was just cardboard and most were thrown away in the old days. Therefore I think most of us feel we will take whatever we can find. And they are getting harder to find every day!
Chet15

RugerHound

Hunter
Nothing to add on the subject of boxes... The experts have spoken! But man Flatgate... That photo is stunning!

flatgate said:
One of the best features of Ruger Forum are the Members themselves. We have a wonderful cross section of America here and they like to share their lives with us, their "extended families"! Some of the images are breathtaking, some are sad. Some are unbelievable! :D

MoranBigLR.jpg

flatgate