How to tell a reblue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Motex66

Single-Sixer
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11412&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=breach+face+blue
There was a question about this in another thread and I remembered this one. Handling hundreds or thousands of guns an or blueing restoreing them is one way. A picture of what it shoud look like is another. Sreach is your friend though a sticky would sure help.
I know there are people who can restore guns so you can't tell who had no intention of passing them off as factory. Just wanted it put the way it should be. That and factory over polishing and reblues.
This post shows normal condictions. History is what it is.

if a gun "looks" like it was 'reblued' then it probably was, one that is/was properly restored does NOT......way too many things, nuances to list and say are always this way or that, NOT so, cause some in different eras ,mainly by Ruger, were done this way, they were NOT noted for their "fine" finishes.........the way they did it, the material they were working with (castings, made in "batches"....) besides, if any given gun "needed" to be "fitted"< then you have 'fitting' marks, files, sanding, whatever...if the part "fit" and needed NO fitting ( filing or cutting down) it would stay "blued", same goes for the frame, recoil shield, the rear of the barrel, and so on..........then you had different ways they ( the factory did things) such as the Supers Blackhawks, the 'steel' grip frame and the steel cylinder frame were "finish fit" together, as one unit...Sooooooo, if you took them apart, there would be little or NO bluing on the flats between the two frames...this is one way of telling when a "brass" frame gun was done by the factory or not.....again, learned knowledge, not found 'usually' known, though the Ruger writers authors "try" to get this point across, but NO pictures and unless you actually look at and "see" to KNOW what the heck I'm even talking about.....practice, experience, are still the "best" teachers, asked 10 different people , you will get possibly 10 different answers, sort through them ALL put the ones that 'match' together, and still go out and find out for yourself, cause they too just may have it 'wrong' in their heads.
You will often hear it said here, on this forum, never say never, nor always , when it comes to ANYTHING Ruger..........

good luck...you got an invite to stop by ANYTIME ,spend a day , set with us at any given gun show, and WATCH, HEAR , and find out whats really going on out there in the gun world...I been doing it for well over 45 years, owned, and operated 3 different shops that specialized in "firearms refinishing" , and we still have things to "see & learn" and I been retired for 10 years now, this month...........

Latest posts