Alexander Sturm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I saw some mention today of Alexander Sturm when I was reading the posts on the RUGER vs. Sturm Ruger trademarks. In one of the posts, Sturm's cause of death was mentioned, with a cite to R.L Wilson's book.

If this is old news to some of the historians here, I apologize. About a year ago, I read an excellent biography of Teddy Roosevelt's oldest daughter Alice Longworth. Alice married Nicholas Longworth, of Cincinnati, who became Speaker of the House. They had one daughter, Paulina, I believe. Paulina married Alex Sturm, and they had one daughter, who I believe is still alive (Joanna Sturm?).

According to the book, Alex Sturm did die of liver disease, that may have been brought on by alcohol use. Some years later, Paulina died from a drug overdose, that may have been accidental, or suicide. She also may have had alcohol problems. Their very young daughter was raised by Alice Longworth, Alice lived into her late 80s or early 90s (going by memory of the book here) and was an influential person in D.C. until her death. She had a famous couch pillow with an embroidered saying "If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here."

That makes TR Alex Sturm's Grandfather-in-Law.

I highly recommend the book "Alice," available in paperback, if you enjoy good biographies and reading about the life and times of the Oyster Bay Roosevelts, the Longworths and the political scene in D.C during the first 3/4 of the 20th Century.

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
Here is a photo of Miss Paulina Longworth age 19 and Mrs. Alice Roosevelt Longworth. This was taken June 23 1944.

PaulinaSturm.jpg