QUESTION ABOUT A BRASS FRAME BLACKHAWK

Help Support Ruger Forum:

treeseeker

Bearcat
Hello evryone! For the last few weeks I have been doing research on a Blawkhawk with a Brass frame. The reason is... my father has two (Among 14 other older Ruger revolvers) and was talking about heading to the gunshow and selling a few. The last time he did this he took two Smiths & Wessons with him and sold them both for $450 each and after I did research and found that they would sell all day long for $900 each. So I'm trying to help him before he does it again. Now, he has two brass frame Blackhawks... a .45 long colt with a 7 1/2 barrel and a .30 Carbine with a 7 1/2 barrel. Now from what i read... Ruger did not ship the a .30 carbine with a Brass frame. However, my dad bought both of these guns New from a local Gun shop. I called Ruger yesterday and they did verify the .45 was shipped with Brass frame, but NOT the .30 carbine witch has us really confused. Like I said he bought them both New from Cleveland sports headquarters (Back in the day). Thanks for any help you guys can offer me. I myself dont know squat about this stuff. Just what I read.

mike722

Buckeye
Well, the 45 (no box or papers) in 95 percent or better should be in the $1400-1600 range.. Price dropping if lesser condition.. As for the 30 carbine, figure around $600. if nice shape...

It was not uncommon for gun shops to install the brass grip frames which were available from Ruger as "accessories". Guns so equipped have the value of the gun itself plus the value of the brass grip frame which itself is easily worth $300 in good condition. This total may not rise to the level of a factory-installed "original" but it's still a desirable arrangement.

You have some very interesting stuff there. You might consider listing them in the classifieds here.

Good luck.

:mrgreen:

treeseeker

Bearcat
Well I know for a fact the .45 is unfired... not sure about the .30. If the .30 has been fired it's not many times. I'm 38 years old and I have never seen my dad shoot any of his guns. Thank you for the reply.

having known some of the guys from Cleveland Sports Hdgtrs,"back in the day" I can tell you that yes, they put some of the brass frames on the Rugers, or maybe even we did it for them..........my buddy still has an Old Model S-47 "S" gun that came from them "back in the day" and yes, folks an OLD MODEL, shipped in the NEW model ,red/white fold up one piece box, with an Old Model label on the end. :shock:
if you are still from around here contact me and I'll set Dad 'straight' on the pricing.....................we'll be at Berea this weekend, give me a call, yes, he GAVE the 'smiths' away....................sounds like a 'two for one'..... :wink:

treeseeker

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
having known some of the guys from Cleveland Sports Hdgtrs,"back in the day" I can tell you that yes, they put some of the brass frames on the Rugers, or maybe even we did it for them..........my buddy still has an Old Model S-47 "S" gun that came from them "back in the day" and yes, folks an OLD MODEL, shipped in the NEW model ,red/white fold up one piece box, with an Old Model label on the end. :shock:
if you are still from around here contact me and I'll set Dad 'straight' on the pricing.....................we'll be at Berea this weekend, give me a call, yes, he GAVE the 'smiths' away....................sounds like a 'two for one'..... :wink:

Hi Dan, yes he sure did give them Smiths away! Now I want to buy his unfired 1991 S&W model 29-5 Classic Hunter for the same deal he gave to the fella's at the gun show but NOOOoooo.... now he wants more :roll: I guess i kinda shot myself in the foot! Yes, i am still around the area (Brunswick).

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yup, SR&Co. did indeed market the "Super Blackhawk" brass grip frame, complete with wide trigger, as an "owner" installed accessory back in the mid/late 1960's.

162714765.jpg

Once in a while a guy runs into some of these items :shock:

flatgate

PS One can discern the OEM accessories from the "partially fitted" parts via presence of the grip locator dowel. (JMHO, of course.)

RugerHound

Hunter
flatgate said:
Yup, SR&Co. did indeed market the "Super Blackhawk" brass grip frame, complete with wide trigger, as an "owner" installed accessory back in the mid/late 1960's.

Once in a while a guy runs into some of these items :shock:

flatgate

PS One can discern the OEM accessories from the "partially fitted" parts via presence of the grip locator dowel. (JMHO, of course.)

Wow.. Nice 'spare' grip frames! :shock:

chet15

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
treeseeker:
The serial number on the .30 Carbine doesn't happen to be 50-18400 does it??
Chet15

treeseeker, the question still stands. There is a factory photo of this serial number with a brass grip frame installed on it. But the factory says they never shipped that serial number out with a brass frame.

'Course at one time there were over 1,500 factory brass frame Super Blackhawks that wouldn't letter at one time either. :shock:

Chet15