Grip Medallion Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

begger

Bearcat
When did Ruger change from the "Black Eagle" to the "Silver Eagle" grip medallions? Was the transition made at the same time throughout the Blackhawk production line? I've seen old models with both sets of medallions.

Any help would be appreciated.

street

Hunter
It's around late 1971 or early 1972. You will find late 3 screw Old Models with the silver "squashed eagle" on the grips. Chad will have the date of this I'm sure. Anyone know the reason they changed? One other thing. The Old Models with the silver eagles will have blue grip screws and "squashed eagles" only. they will not have the raised silver eagles on the grips. If they do then the grips have been changed.

Street is right on.

I have a couple of OM .45 Blackhawks from that era . . . the older one has "black eagles" and the later one has "squashed chickens" (Bob's term) with blued screw/escutcheons.

Same with a couple of prefix-number OM .357's.

:)

as 'street' and 'ale-8 referred to the last of the "old model' medallions looked like these two that come off of two OM 45's one from 1971 and the "squashed chicken" (silver, mushed bird) is from a 1972 gun,,,,,,,

BH45gripsnear.jpg

in 1973 when the 'new model's arrived they all had the raised, silver ( though some the plating was NOT good, and would tarnish).........AND the hardware, of the grips, the screws and the escutcheons were ALL silver, aluminum , with stainless screws.............all still the same size ,locating pin patterns locations, etc..........so YES, interchangible.........

begger

Bearcat
Very interesting indeed. Has anyone put together a really good ILLUSTRATED tutorial on grip medallions? If so, could someone post a link? If not, could someone put one together?

Rugerguy's got a great start...

flattop44

Buckeye
I have described the periods for each of the medallions and have a few pictures of the grips and medallions that may help you out in my Grip Frame Article on GunBlast.com. Link below:

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

FT44/aka Bill

americal

Hunter
flattop 44 has done a good job on GUNBLAST showing all things RUGER-- I go back ever so often to look and read them--I will never own some of the fine Ruger models but I enjoy looking and learning---THANKS 44 you did us all a favor--its a lot of work & time to post articles :!:

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
begger said:
Very interesting indeed. Has anyone put together a really good ILLUSTRATED tutorial on grip medallions? If so, could someone post a link? If not, could someone put one together?

Rugerguy's got a great start...
I was planning on doing just that but I haven't had the time. My collection was more or less built around the changes in the medallions, but I am not much of a photographer. I have even thought of hiring a real photographer to take pictures and put close ups of the medallions next to each revolver. Here are some old pictures, I've got the new Black Eagle and even a couple Gold Eagle examples now, and even a real Brassie with the Squashed Chickens. This is not as useful as Bill Hamm's excellent presentation but it might be worth a look to give a basic idea. The medallions are correct for the serial numbers on the guns but various other parts have been changed or modified.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=85442&highlight=

street

Hunter
rugerguy said:
as 'street' and 'ale-8 referred to the last of the "old model' medallions looked like these two that come off of two OM 45's one from 1971 and the "squashed chicken" (silver, mushed bird) is from a 1972 gun,,,,,,,

BH45gripsnear.jpg

in 1973 when the 'new model's arrived they all had the raised, silver ( though some the plating was NOT good, and would tarnish).........AND the hardware, of the grips, the screws and the escutcheons were ALL silver, aluminum , with stainless screws.............all still the same size ,locating pin patterns locations, etc..........so YES, interchangible.........

Rugerguy it looks as if the Blackeagle grips you show are from a pre 66 3 screw Ruger. Look close it is the skinny neck eagle. It should be a fat neck bird by 1972. Also the squashed necked chickens lasted into the new models up to at lease 1975. As I had a star model with that type of eagle in the grips. As for the hardware the new model kept the blue screws and the blue escutcheons untill the stainless steel guns were made, and then when the blue hardware ran out then both the blue guns and the stainless steel guns used stanless hardware for the grips.

chet15

Hawkeye
#1 street.
I've often thought about the reasons Ruger would change their medallions from a black eagle to a silver eagle, wondering if it was some type of anniversary or something with the Ruger company, or thinking maybe if the occassion had something to do with that A.A. White engraved RST4 serial number 11-23222 that the employees gave to WBR for Christmas in 1971 (note that it was made not long before the change in medallions).
1971 was 30 years since the company went down to a one-founder operation, so maybe that was it?
But when it comes down to it, and knowing WBR's frugal personality, the change to silver eagle medallions may have been nothing more than a cost savings.
Chet15

One would think that if there had been some heavily significant reason behind the change, Ruger would have publicized it to reap whatever advertising benefits could be realized.

Like Chet15, I imagine there was a cost benefit.

JMHO

absolutely, or even a different vendor, or better? cheaper? price.... look at how bad some of those medallins have bben back then, PURE JUNK in finish or even 'lasting' (enduring) holding up to cleaning or wear, even TIME.......
as for the two shown above, had BOTH guns here,BOTH had the same walnut finish, not shiny like an earlier one should have been ,.45 cal OM BKH45's and took this picture some time ago, never had another chance to put them all together to try and take another picture, the guns don't stay around here LONG enough to do this, they are GONE before I can come home and take a picture, many of the early grips had that shiny , almost varnished" finish,NOT bare, crude walnut, look at the holes around the escutcheons, very rough.................. I put very little 'trust' in what grips/parts are on any given gun, at any given time, as so many of them have been swapped out and changed around after all these years...wish I had 1/2 a penny for every pair of gun grips I have sold in over 47 years......... :shock:
So can only refer to as what "should OR normally" came on any given gun at the time of shipment, NOT even era, as how many were shipped out at a later date??? always a fly in the ointment.........

Very true.

On occasion someone will disagree with the configuration of a gun as regards the bolt-on parts like grips and ejector rod pieces and grip frames. On his famous List, Bob Campbell has referred to many of these as "screwdriver variations" since they can readily be changed without any real evidence of this having occurred. This, as a matter of fact, was one of the reasons he started the List . . . to record the configuration of guns as seen/reported at any given time. Interestingly, we have seen individual guns show up here and elsewhere over the years with different parts in place, and each time the current owner says that this is how he found it. Thus, we do not claim that any indivisual gun on The List is absolutely "correct", but that the list gives us a picture of what was the "usual" configuration at any given time. The questionable guns stick out like the proverbial sore thumb when compared to their neighboring pieces, all of which are listed in order of serial number. This is made more interesting by the classic "parts bin" assembly scenario.

"Questionable" does not always mean "wrong" . . . just that it's another example of the "with Ruger never say never" situation.

:)

Guess we'll never know "why" all again subjective, but my guess was aside from the "cost" ( buy from the low bidder) they wanted it to be different for the 'new models' coming out in 1973, so folks could "see" in a glance, one is totally different ,,,newer?? , than the other, renowned 'black eagle' old models....as for pins versus screws ,most folks today still do NOT "see, know, understand", there is a difference till you tell them 'transfer bar'.....
put a pair of grips with black eagle medallions, on a 'new model', and they 'think' its an 'old model'.....human nature, makes them STOP, LOOK, and pick it up to discern what they actaully may have in their hands.........

anyway back to 'beggers' question, the change was in the early,mid 1970s, and yes across the model lines that used the larger medallions, Bearcats Security Sixes, etc., used te smaller sized, all silver medallions.........

again,all spelled out in the many books that have been written over the years, in 'detail'....one may not be able to "remember" it all...........
wish I had a digital camera, or even cared what came on what gun back then, let alone take a picture of it :roll:

street

Hunter
GRAMPS 51 said:
Hi I have super single six 62 00225 shipped 2/73 with squashed chickens and 62 94360 stainless super single six with raised chickens both bought from original owners

GRAMPS

That sounds correct!!!

BC Mike

Single-Sixer
flattop44 said:
I have described the periods for each of the medallions and have a few pictures of the grips and medallions that may help you out in my Grip Frame Article on GunBlast.com. Link below:

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

FT44/aka Bill

Your Gunblast articles have been very helpful to me over the past few years and so have your posts here. I never knew you were one and the same person. It's a bit like finding our Clark Kent's other persona - ok maybe not that dramatic but thank you for all the knowledge that you share.
Mike