Grip guys, help please.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
Can anyone tell me what kind of wood this is please? I think it is cocobolo but I am not sure. According to the writing on the inside, they were made in 1986 by Dale Reichman, but it doesn't say what kind of wood it is. I would like to find a few more pairs that are similar if possible. Thanks in advance, Mike.

HANDGUNS120011.jpg

HANDGUNS120023.jpg

HANDGUNS120013.jpg

newrugersafan

Single-Sixer
Looks like Walnut to me with a very nice grain and finish. Very nice short barrel 44 mag.

CLC Grips has done a lot of nice Walnut grips, he can do a high gloss finish like those.

Mike

Chief 101

Hunter
I would call that Myrtle wood...works fairly easily and is very decorative. I have a good stash of it in my shop, one of my favorites. Grows is Northern Cal but mostly Oregon. If you need some PM me.
Chief aka Maxx Load

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys, I have looked at CLC's grips and WOW! Those are beautiful, no wonder he is sold out of everything. Looking at his website and comparing the grips on this gun, I cannot come to a definate conclusion. They sort of look like a few different things, including a few types of walnut and myrtle wood. Then I looked at a different site and saw some cocobolo grips that were very similar also, the world may never know, thanks for your help, Mike.

Chief...Thanks for the offer on the wood, but I don't have anywhere near the skills required to build my own grips and make them look like they belong on a gun! :D