Usefulness of having a Curio and Relic license?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I'm considering obtaining a C and R license to let me enjoy some of the old surplus and vintage gun deals I see out there on the web and in Shotgun News. I don't plan to make many purchases, nor am I interested in having an FFL. Does holding a C and R license let one benefit in purchasing ammo and accessories at discounted prices with big wholesalers, as does holding an FFL? I realize that one old surplus C and R eligible rifle or handgun purchase that does not have to go through an FFL would almost pay for the $30/ 3 year license. I'd appreciate C and R holder's thoughts and input. Don

mohavesam

Hawkeye
www.cruffler.com

Several wholesalers and distributors extend the discounts to type 03FFL holders. Brownell's is one any serious hobbyist should patronize, MidwayUSA is another.

Once you have it, notify your neighbor that the BBT will be seen in front of your house often...

I've found mine useful for the reasons stated: discounts on parts, and shipping of qualified firearms direct to my door with resulting savings on FFL fees. It does require a bit of record keeping in a "bound book" for your C&R firearms, but not a big deal. And be forewarned it is a bit frustrating when some FFLs won't recognize the C&R for their dealings with you - for those I typically reciprocate by not gracing their cash register with my greenbacks...

I highly recommend taking the plunge, and as previously posted, you may find that a box with interesting contents comes to your door a little more frequently...

mike722

Buckeye
I've had one for 10 years now.. best move you can make, I've saved tons on transfer fees... as long as you make at least 1 or 2 transactions every three years, you can renew it it every three years by mail.. and as stated, the only fustrating thing is the occasional "expert" who refuses to honor it, even if you show them a particular gun is C/R worthy..

I've had mine for 8 years now. Still haven't bought a gun with it, though I have bid on some. After sending a copy to Midway when I had my first issue, I saved $35.00 on the first oreder. Paid for that first 3 years with one order. Same with brownells, plus my LGS gives me 10% discount.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks each of you. I stopped by the local BATFE office in Bowling Green, KY. VERY nice people and helpful too. The lady who could give me the needed forms was out for the day I guess, but they apologized and asked if I could return to pick them up when she was in. The agent tried to find the forms but couldn't in her area.My wife's and my printer is on the fritz and anyway I like to deal face to face when I can. I spoke to an ATF agent there who thought the idea was neat and inexpensive to boot. Called the local police office to get the name of the local Chief. No problems at all. Friendly as always.Good folks in my neck of the woods. I love the south. Thanks, and I look forward to joining the C and R crowd. Don

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
BUT:.............."THEY" can still come to your door, pound on it and demand to go through ALL of your "STUFF".........ANYTIME...........RECORDS NEED TO BE METICULASLY KEPT AND ALL PERSONAL ITEMS SEPARATED FROM BOOKED ITEMS. This is not a simple process and is not a casual process............With it, you are on the front page; W/O it, you are one of many buried in 4473's...............Just think it over. I have been an FFL, C&R and a citizen. I cannot hide and am a known entity......... :roll: :? :shock: 8) .

Tallbald

Buckeye
I see that Midway has a section for those with state resale numbers like myself. Maybe that's an option too, since I am only really interested in accessories, and would like to avoid any hassle for my heirs. Hmmm. Don

308longdistance

Blackhawk
HAWKEYE#28 said:
BUT:.............."THEY" can still come to your door, pound on it and demand to go through ALL of your "STUFF".........ANYTIME...........RECORDS NEED TO BE METICULASLY KEPT AND ALL PERSONAL ITEMS SEPARATED FROM BOOKED ITEMS. This is not a simple process and is not a casual process............With it, you are on the front page; W/O it, you are one of many buried in 4473's...............Just think it over.

DITTO.................Had one for 12 years, gave it up several years ago.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
BUT:.............."THEY" can still come to your door, pound on it and demand to go through ALL of your "STUFF".........ANYTIME...........RECORDS NEED TO BE METICULASLY KEPT AND ALL PERSONAL ITEMS SEPARATED FROM BOOKED ITEMS. This is not a simple process and is not a casual process............With it, you are on the front page; W/O it, you are one of many buried in 4473's...............Just think it over. I have been an FFL, C&R and a citizen. I cannot hide and am a known entity......... :roll: :? :shock: 8) .

I have never known or read about a Collector who had a random or unannounced visit from ATFE. Only one I know of who had an announced (3-day advance notice) visit after he was busted for a non-violent felony issue, that was back in the '90s.

When your Type 03FFL expires, you are free to burn your bound book. Take an inventory and mail it to yourself, but do not open the envelope (true copyright). If you re-apply a month later, it is treated as a 'new' FFL, and previous acquisitions, etc are not applicable.