How rare are "D" marked OM Bearcats?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cubrock

Blackhawk
Was out of state for a wedding this past weekend and took in a show the morning of, as we had time to kill. See a decent Bearcat on a private seller's table. Turned out to be an "F" Alphacat for the paltry sum of $425. Thought that wasn't bad, as the gun was probably 95-ish% condition. He then said he had one new in the box for sale. He pulls out a like new "D" marked Bearcat. Can't remember the serial number range, but it was a non-Alpha with the D obviously being added later, as was Ruger's practice for a duplicate serial number. The box turned out to be just that - a plain old box. No paperwork, no original box. Price? $550. He probably would have dealt a bit for both, but curses that we weren't in-state and he wasn't interested in shipping.

Curious what you think of the price on the D gun? I've not seen a D Bearcat before. Was a treat, even though I didn't get to buy it. I did get to buy some good surplus sleeping bags, so the morning wasn't a total loss. They made for a big load on the way home, though. :)

SATCOM

Blackhawk
cubrock,

Per John Dougans first book, 300 made in range starting in the 98K range.

Cost, I have no idea, but somebody willcome along shortly with that.

SATCOM

cubrock

Blackhawk
Given how high Bearcats have gotten, I can't imagine that it wasn't worth the guy's asking price, given its condition.

Thanks for the info!

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
IMG_0323.jpg

Serial Number 80180D
IMG_0339.jpg

Serial Number D98273
IMG_0333.jpg

Duplicate Bearcats are known with both D prefix and D suffix serial numbers. Known s/n range 80002D to 80198D, about 250 of these were made. Known prefix s/n range D98083 to D98294, about 365 were made. A few other known occasional D Bearcats have been recorded, D74396, D10168, and D108603, I think a boxed collector quality D Bearcat value is about $700 to $800.

cubrock

Blackhawk
This was a D prefix. Sounds like he had the value about right, then, without the box.

Bkat

Blackhawk
Are there any duplicate alpha cats? If so, is the D always a suffix? Any such thing as a D prefix in front of the regular alpha letter?

Bkat

flatgate

Hawkeye
Bkat said:
Are there any duplicate alpha cats? If so, is the D always a suffix? Any such thing as a D prefix in front of the regular alpha letter?

Bkat

I've never seen one. Interesting idea, though......

Like most Bearcat collectors I have a couple of the D's, just like the previous posters...

D98193 and 80124D

How about a "D" marked New Bearcat?

361505850.jpg

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Bkat said:

Bkat

Haven't heard of any duplicate "alpha" cats yet. But remember that Ruger didn't have the idea to start marking their guns with a "D" for duplicate until August 1961, by which time the alpha cats through "Z" had already been made. If Ruger accidently duplicated any serial numbers n the "alpha" series, they may not have marked them at all, and just shipped them out (sn's weren't as big a deal with ATF back then).
The earliest "D" Bearcat I've ever heard of is our D12417 which was mfg. 9/12/61 and shipped 10/18/61
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Another interesting tidbit is that a few of those D98xxx range guns were apparently "reworked" by the factory as the sn didn't stamp off as well as they had apparently hoped. Ruger ground the sn's down on that side and restamped the orig. number back on.
here's a pic of D98251 that had that happen. Note the heavy appearance of the serial number as opposed to the other D98xxx range guns pictured in this thread (because there was less aluminum in that area once it was ground off!).

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/chet15/BearcatCollection100.jpg
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/chet15/BearcatCollection102.jpg

And a pic of our 990299 that had the same thing done to it...

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/chet15/BearcatCollection123.jpg

Both were shipped late enough in the year that they also didn't have the rollmark put on (probably the whole barrel) until late 1968, after which Ruger had changed the rollmark to one that didn't include SR in the eagle.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/chet15/BearcatCollection126.jpg

chet15

h bone

Bearcat
$550 in my opinion is a great price. I wonder how many collectors that own a D stamped BC would take $550 for the ones they own.

radicalrod

Hunter
I think the D98233 might be the one I bought in Nashville and traded to Dan for Laura :lol: :lol: :lol: I know we did a trade for a Duplicate but don't remember the number....I was happy to be able to help Dan help Laura's collection as he and she have always been there to help me out.....RR.

I think so too, as usual 'thank you radical", and yes, of course the D 275 is an alphabet, as the notations the front ,back and the "short"........had them all handy in a group...some of the 'few Bearcats she is still hanging on to..... :wink:

Latest posts