Ruger Quick Draw Timer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ubme

Bearcat
This came in the mail back in November and thought I would share. For those who don't know it is a Quick Draw Timer Ruger Co. ordered from H.C. Thompson Clock Co. in 1955. Only 6 where ordered with only 3 or 4 known. This Timer is also in it's original box.

100_1944.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Shawn, that is REALLY SWEET......I would need one of these powered by the sun to time my fast draw....I believe they are called a "SUN DIAL"....RR.

contender

Ruger Guru
Shawn,,, you haven't posted in a while, and you show up with this stuff? That's just plain wrong. Ok, ok, ok, to make ammends, you will have to ship that timer to me, to add to my meager collection of oddball stuff nobody wants.
:D :D :D

Cool item!

In my late dad's stuff I found an old RCA Certificate dated 7-6-87 for the Timer but so far I haven't found the timer. Maybe he sold it. It reads in part " A very rare artifact made for Sturm Ruger by Seth Thomas Clock Co in 1955. Only 4 such timers were produced"'

ubme

Bearcat
At the Tulsa gun show this past fall I talked with Mr. JD about the history of these timers. His recollection was that Mr. Ruger was not happy that the company had purchased these timers and wanted them thrown out he didn't want his guns associated with fast draw competition.

chet15

Hawkeye
Glad you got that Shawn! It was a pleasant surprise hearing from Gary a while back and to hear him say that he'd come across the timer in his closet (I think he might have forgotten about it!). That timer came out of the Fred Nielson collection from here in Iowa and I sold it with other goodies to Gary in 1984. Fred had quite a few factory contacts and it wouldn't surprise me if that timer originated with Ruger's Bob Dearden.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Hmmm...good question. I've seen B&W pics of Bowman as a young skinny guy in front of the Ruger booth, so maybe??
Chet15

FXR

Bearcat
That is Awesome!
How do you guy know things like this exsist????
Is there a book? or is it by word of mouth?
New to Ruger Collectables and just curious.

chet15

Hawkeye
golferboy426 said:
maybe someday I'll find the Timer that goes with this certificate

1326392056.jpg

The production quantity of "4" made came from a 1980 RCA Journal, with the listing of all the known memorabilia at the time.
I believe 6 were actually made though.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
FXR said:
That is Awesome!
How do you guy know things like this exsist????
Is there a book? or is it by word of mouth?
New to Ruger Collectables and just curious.

The are a lot of books out there that have this stuff listed and/or pictured. The Red Eagle News Exchange in its 28 years has also covered most of the stuff that is known out there.
Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
FXR; Welcome to the Forum!
As noted, the RENE is just ONE of our many resources for info. It is a super resource for a lot of our info. If you are not a subscriber, contact chet15 above. He's the editor,,,! Well worth the money.
There are several books on Ruger stuff. And new items are added from time to time. It just takes time to study, and learning such things.