Original Ruger Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I have never seen that marking present, except that it is reported that factory ivory grips are marked, in pencil, on the back of each panel. Not a marking for the SN of firearm, but a number related to the pair of panels.

caryc

Hawkeye
cherokee5425 said:
I have a question. Did Ruger mark the inside of the Grips on their Handguns with the guns serial number as did Smith& Wesson?

Why would Ruger do that since the grips are not hand fitted to the guns?

flatgate

Hawkeye
HAWKEYE#28 said:
it is reported that factory ivory grips are marked, in pencil, on the back of each panel. Not a marking for the SN of firearm, but a number related to the pair of panels.

119416767.jpg

:D

flatgate

as
splitz' noted, those penciled numbers on the ivories and yes seen some on stags was by the grip makers, to keep them "paired" when in reality, maany times these two numbers did NOT even match??? which goes back to the concept of the grips becoming 'broken" at the time of 'staking' the medallions in them, as well as how often the stags did NOT even match in color of the material used.....most top notch grip makers made sure their work 'matched' up.as well as being "fitted" to any particular gun.....S&W did 'fit' their wood grips to the guns, later on the oversized target grips only had a 'date' marked on the inside, as their being 'wrap around" (covering the entire grip frame) there was no "need" to be 'fitted', thus NO serial number on them.

americal

Hunter
Have one pair of " factory stags" that have 8.50 in pencil on the back-the price back then :) as I was in elementry school 8.50 was about like 850.00 :p

mike722

Buckeye
rugerguy said:
that must have been some sort of 'retail" price as we've seen lots and lots of them marked that price exactly..............

33677569.jpg

yeah, $8.50 was listed retail on stags... this pair has $8.50 written on the inside of one panel..

glockman99

Single-Sixer
mike722 said:
rugerguy said:
that must have been some sort of 'retail" price as we've seen lots and lots of them marked that price exactly..............

33677569.jpg

yeah, $8.50 was listed retail on stags... this pair has $8.50 written on the inside of one panel..
I'll take 'em for $8.50....Does that include shipping? :lol: