Saw a 10" .44 Flat Top at a little local show today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cubrock

Blackhawk
You never know what you'll see in the little shows. Guy walks in with a newer Ruger cardboard box. I finally asked what was in it and he pulls out a nearly new .44 Flat Top with a 10" barrel. Had aged ivory (non-factory) stocks on it, but no originals. It looked so good I thought it might be a factory reblue, but there were a few small lightning streaks on the frame that said otherwise. He said he bought it from the original owner and it was unfired outside the factory. It had just a few tiny scratches from being in a box over the years that kept it from being perfect, but it would be hard to find one better.

Wouldn't take a penny less than $2K. If you consider the value of the ivories if sold separately, minus the cost of replacement factory walnuts, I'd say that made the gun about $1650. I've never really pursued having a 10" .44, but it did make me curious what these actually change hands for nowadays (rather than blue book values, which are pie in the sky).

What say ye? Would you have bought at $2K and felt you got a decent or good deal? Or, was he overpriced?

Still really neat to see somewhere outside Tulsa or some other big name show.

My two cents is that it was fairly priced, based on your grip panel calculations back to original collector conditon. RENE suggests $1850, and a couple have been listed (and sold) on the forum in the past year for $1750 or so if I recall correctly...

I'm always looking for a better deal, but sometimes we gotta pay retail - and you don't see them come up for sale very often in excellent condition.

RENE prices reflect the average of what participants submit as their estimate of a price a collector would pay for a 95-98% gun. If the 10" was almost new as you stated I think it was an excellent price and the ivories were just gravy.
FT44

cubrock

Blackhawk
HAWKEYE#28 said:
ONE assumes you had the good sense to be able to contact him after the fact..............

He has my phone number. I wasn't able to get his. Ball is in his court. He didn't seem to be in a hurry to sell.

contender

Ruger Guru
Cubrock called me about this one. If I had had the money, I would have told him to get it for me. It's one of those guns that is missing from my collection. I'm sure I could have found a pair of correct stocks for it, and the ivories would have been added to one of my shooters quickly. I also told him to give the guy my number,, just in case,,,!

as said above, but bottom line its one of those "events in time, place and circumstance..." happen very seldom, and NEVER to most people...........
if its "meant to be........" so be it

Yes, even I would have bought that one........ 8) :roll: :wink:

radicalrod

Hunter
Heck Dan usually gets them in the box with stags for $ OHIO PRICES $....not listing the actual price as to keep all you guys in your OWN STATE :lol: :lol: :lol: see ya RR.

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Sounds like a nice one. I once got a long nosed 357 as a walk in for $500 and thought I had died and went to heaven. It now is part of foursome residing elsewhere out here in the west. HAPPY NEW YEARS

flatgate

Hawkeye
I found one here in Wyoming. I was at a gunshow in Riverton and decided to troll around a bit, carrying an old Single-Six. One Dealer said "hey, do you like Rugers?".

A couple of weeks later we made the deal.

44441495.jpg

flatgate

americal

Hunter
NOW that was a troll of a life time 8) It pays to have a old Ruger SA in your hand :) That kind of event happens fg but not often--you just NEVER KNOW :D

Zeus

Blackhawk
I want to find a 10" ft one day. It's one that has always grabbed my attention but I've never seen one in person. I think 2000 was probably a decent price. If I had the money and ran into him I'd grab it. They just don't pop up that often for sale.

Latest posts