Mother of Pearl grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Folks, I recently came to own a set of true mother of pearl grips that are made for the older Ruger XR-3 grip frame. They do not have any wooden backing but are solid MoP with one grip panel being slightly thicker than they other. No emblems installed but they do have the escutcheons and a grip screw. The are slightly oversized at the bottom for a XR-3 frame but have the proper locating pin placement. I need to find a reasonable value idea for these if possible. Here are a couple of pictures of the grips.
IMG_1463_1.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1461_1.jpg

Thanks for the help. I want to put these on the forum for sale but I have no clue as to their value.

Robb

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
They are not worth much Robb, You ought to send them to Coos Bay where I will take good care of those worthless grips. <vbg> I am nuts about ivory, pearl and stag but can not tell you what they are worth.
regards Charlie

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Appear to be Pointer Pup panels..........Altho, those usually had a decal as such on the reverse. I'd say at lest 300 dollars and I have no idea where you'd find any like them, unless you saw mine that came as an extra set in an RSSE's black factory case when I purchased the RSSE..........Wish they had the Ruger medallian........... 8) :roll: This set that came with the RSSE? Have to wonder if they came from Ruger, based on the Jack Behn coments, long ago, to Dr. Tanko. Though i have no name on the 80+ year old owner, I understood he was the original owner and he "never sold nothing" until my Friend, the FFL marketed the entire collection....... Isn't this speculation fun? :roll: :)

mike722

Buckeye
I agree with Splitz on the price range... I have not seen that many pair but every pair I have ever seen are just like yours, with one panel thicker than the other..

we sold the "extra" set that Laura had years ago and they went for $325 ...MOP (real ) NOT the 'plastic' Franzite OR Jay Scotts, we sell those for $40 at any given gun show, sold the set of Jay Scotts Saturday for $40 and was offered some of the Franzite ones for around $30 a pair and we told the guy "no"........

Real Mother of pearl is a "b!t*# to work with and well worth the price if and when you can find them, the set laura kept ,much like 'splitz' her set came with and on an RSSE she got back 22 years ago..............

if you can "think" of how much trouble and how many sets or panels were "broken" staking in the medallion s on the stags, wow, MOP can break, split, layer off , at about any given time...I have seen a dozen or so sets over the years that folks "tried" to put medallions in them, and they were ALL "boogered"...knife guy told me you gotta drill them "under water, don't breathe the vapors or fumes...."

I'd keep at least ONE set if you ever want to display, they are an example of what was available for Rugers over the years, and I recall Jack Behn telling me and Jeff M. years ago, that he had to go and get some for a "customer?? client??" and they would NOT put the medallions in them back then.sooooooo
:roll:

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey I need to go look at my sets.....I know I have 2 maybe 3 sets and one set is in the box yet....don't remember the thickness difference but don't remember checking that....maybe I can get some pics tomorrow...RR.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Real Mother of pearl is a "b!t*# to work with and well worth the price if and when you can find them, the set laura kept ,much like 'splitz' her set came with and on an RSSE she got back 22 years ago..............

I'd keep at least ONE set if you ever want to display, they are an example of what was available for Rugers over the years, and I recall Jack Behn telling me and Jeff M. years ago, that he had to go and get some for a "customer?? client??" and they would NOT put the medallions in them back then.sooooooo
:roll:[/quote]

See my edited note to my earlier first post, this subject.........Have to wonder on the history of my set with the/my RSSE...... 8)