My first 10 inch 44 flattop!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trapperon

Blackhawk
No photos as I have not received the gun yet! Just picked up about a 90% 44 10 inch flattop. Its all there and all original, just blueing loss from honest use. I wanted a somewhat used specimen such as this, so I wouldnt feel bad actually taking it out whenever I wanted and enjoying shooting it alot. As this is obviously an obsolete model, I was planning on sticking with cast bullets to be easier on the bore. Really, I typically prefer them over jacketed anyway. Would you recommend going with a little lighter load to also reduce wear and tear on the gun? I guess the main thing I would be concerned about is something such as throat erosion on an irreplaceable barrel.
I just cant wait--cant believe I'm actually one of "those guys" now!
Let me know what you think on the ammo choice--

Ron

I agree with your lighter load cast bullet idea for your flat top. That is exactly what I plan on using when mine flat top gets home from Mr. Stroh's shop. Something similar to the Skeeter load only in 44 mag cases.

flatgate

Hawkeye
85490282.jpg

I added a few "enhancements" to my "shooter" BKH-40. The grip frame is off of a New Model Super that's been modified a wee bit. The hammer is from a Bisley and those pretty grips came from Lett's back in the day.....

I shoot cast 300 grain bullet "mid range" loads through it with good results.

flatgate

americal

Hunter
I hope you give us a look--A awesome gun 8) I had rather have a .44 like flatgates than a high dollar custom but thats just me--you have a few improvements for shooting but still have the CLASSIC flattop 10 inch--ICON 8)