Ruger 77 flat bolt in 5.6x57

Help Support Ruger Forum:

filmhog

Bearcat
Just purchased a flat bolt in 5.6x57 to try the cartridge. I have never seen any ruger in this caliber and wonder how rare the chambering is? Factory barrel but unique way of engraving the caliber. Trigger pull is outstanding and I understand early flat bolts used Douglas barrels. The groups thought?
Thanks
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/265146000/265146558/pix767289693.jpg

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
It appears NOT factory on the surface, the only verification that the gun left the factory like is, is to get it lettered. What is the s/n??

I note that the barrel is a Ruger Proof marked barrel, and as the 5.6 X 57 is a.224 caliber, and the case is a decedent of a 7X 57 or 257 Roberts, a .224 barrel would have come from the factory in a short action, things appear to be tight.

Interesting and confusing, but the letter either will straighten out the confusion, or start a real discussion on why this chambering has never before appeared or been discussed. Should be fun.

filmhog

Bearcat
I just had a question answered by Ruger Research. This M77 currently in 5.6x57 originally left the factory as a 220 swift. So that makes it a long action, right? I also discovered a Canjar trigger on it. I guess it did not take much to ream for the 5.6x57. I thought the 5.6 parent cart. was a 270?

chet15

Hawkeye
It is not a factory chambered rifle. Somebody milled the original rollmark off the barrel and put their own markings on it. You will note that Ruger has never milled a part of the barrel to put on a caliber rollmarking (too much work, too many steps). The Number 1 started out being marked like that, and of course this continued through all of Rugers long gun models through today.
Chet15

picketpin

Buckeye
As Chet commented on, this was NEVER a method of caliber deiesignation used by Ruger at the factory. Pretty easy to say "Rechambered wildcat" just looking at it. Font is also something Ruger has never used.

Back in the late 70s I built a 22-4000 (.224-7x57AI) grossly overbore for a .224 but sort of fun with a 90 grain VLD bullet and a fast twist barrel. Not very versotile though. I pulled it and made something else a few years later.

RWT