Great Western Revolvers Book

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Jim Hoobler and John Dougan have finished their new book on the Great Western Arms Company's firearms.

GWOrderForm.jpg

I've not yet had a chance to see the book but am certain it is in the same class as other materials we've seen from Mowbray Publishing!

flatgate

Flatgate, I am forutnate enough to have obtained and read an advance copy. I will share my book review and a couple of pics from inside with the RF members.

"GREAT WESTERN ARMS COMPANY"
Revolvers & Derringers Manufactured from 1954 to 1964

Authored by John C. Dougan & Jim Hoobler

Book Review by Bill Hamm December 12th, 2011

The "Single Action" Revolver holds a special place in the hearts and minds of many folks who have an affection for the old West and firearm designs of that era. This also encompasses audiences of the great old "B" Western & Cowboy Movies and TV Western series from the 1950's into the 1970's.

The Single Action Revolvers and Derringers made by "Great Western Arms Company" during the highlight of this "Cowboy" era are certainly deserving of recognition! Many of the good guys and bad guys portrayed in those movies and TV shows carried Great Westerns! Great Westerns were used by Marshal Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke and by John Wayne, in his last movie the Shootist. This book is the most comprehensive up-to-date coverage of information accumulated and known about the company which was only in existence for a mere 10 years. The combined research and related material presented by the two Authors provide an insight into Great Western Arms Company, its multiple owners and operations that has been previously unpublished.

John Dougan is known for his outstanding books on collectible Ruger Firearms. His archives of Great Western Arms brochures, advertisements and correspondence with former employees and associates revealed in this book are simply intriguing. Jim Hoobler's never before published amazing array of color photographs of his Great Western Arms Collection is nothing short breathtaking! There are also multiple black & white and color photographs that demonstrate the various models, variations, internal parts, finish, grips and decoration. Lists of available calibers and estimates of serial number ranges by years will provide invaluable information to collectors and those interested in such firearms.

I highly recommend this very interesting and enjoyable read for all who have a love for Great Western Arms firearms, single action revolvers, derringers, firearms in general, the old West, old Western Movies or all of the above!!

This NEW BOOK will become available in Early 2012…..Order Yours Today!!

MOWBRAY PUBLISHERS
$39.99 + $4.50 p/h
To Order, call toll-free 800-999-4697 (M-F, 9-5 EST) FAX: 401-597-5056

DSC08861.jpg

DSC08860.jpg

DSC08872.jpg

DSC08871.jpg

DSC08892.jpg

DSC08873.jpg

DSC08884.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Awesome! I can't wait to get a copy!

For those whom question the inclusion of a "non-Ruger" firearm on a Ruger Forum one needs to realize that the GW's and the Ruger's were developed during the early '50's and share the goal of producing firearms, and specifically Single Action revolvers, to fill in the gap left when Colt shut down SAA production. It didn't take Colt too long to see what was happening! :D

flatgate

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
That's pretty cool. I have little interest in collecting these but will probably buy the book anyway to learn more about the guns. Information is a valuable asset when browsing shows and shops. I have stumbled into a few Great Westerns, both the Frontier Six Shooters and the Derringers. The most interesting one was one of the kit guns shown in flattop44's "Make Your Own" pic. I thought it was a rough and beat up old gun with no finish remaining. So I sold it too cheap, only to find out after the fact that it was assembled from one of these kits without ever de-burring some of the parts and without ever bluing the gun. So no finish rather than a worn finish, and rough because it was just thrown together. Turns out the kit guns are pretty rare and worth a premium.

GWA-Frontier-Six-Shooter-1.jpg

GWA-Frontier-Six-Shooter-3.jpg

GWA-Der-2926-4.jpg

GWA-Der-2926-3.jpg

GWA-Der-2926-5.jpg

sack peterson

Single-Sixer
GW Kits, while scarcish, have generally sold at a discount to factory assembled revolvers. They are essentially perceived as a zero percent original finish gun, and amateur assembly depresses price a touch further.

I loved that .22 kit (I was WMGs buyer), but there came a time to sell it and I didn't get any more than what I paid. This was a fairly modest number in strict dollar terms, and I felt the same impulse, which was 'boy, I didn't get much for that.'

I woulda liked to have kept them all, but there were choices to be made. I ended up with this some months later.

depc.jpg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
bigbore45colt said:
Bob - do you still have that Derringer? I'd be interested in it if you do...

Just saw the above today. Nope, I think I listed it in the Classifieds here and got no bites so I moved it to GunBroker. It shipped out in Nov 2010. My log shows it went for $550 shipped, including the spiffy holster. It was .38 S&W cal.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I have a feeling that there is about to be a change in the "value" of the Great Westerns.......

I've known about them for quite some time and have even scoured the Gun Shows for examples. NADA, no luck. I bet examples will start showing up...... in the not too distant future either.

flatgate

Can't help but notice the similarity between the photo of the hand-held "Deputy" and the very similarly-posed illustrations of the early Ruger Blackhawks that appeared in all the "gun press" of the period. VERY similar, sez me. ;)

Hopefully, someone will post such an illustration here for our edification.

Hint, hint.

:)

A vendor at one of the local gunshows had a 38 Atomic on his table
the last 2 months last season. A bit rough and I think he wanted
just over a grand.
I have no idea of values.
I'll be looking to see if he still has it next month, when the shows start up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts