I just don't get it!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
I have a BKH45X complete with original box and all innards that just won't sell. Got it priced at $1000 shipped which I think is a good price but it won't sell. No offense against anyone elses guns, but I have watch two BKH45s sell for right at or on $700 with and without a correct box. It is amazing to me that someone will not spend the extra few bucks to get a complete package. I don't have to sell mine, just trying to offer up a nice piece. I only mention this in an attempt to get an understanding of how others think when making a purchase on a not so complete package vs a complete package. I guess this is the same thought pattern that came up with the two flatgates consecutive guns for sale. Seems every day, we get more shooters and less collectors here. Is it just me?

contender

Ruger Guru
I think it's a little bit of several things.
Not as much money available to spend on collectables by many folks. Yes, the guns sell for around $700 or so, but the boxes and paperwork don't quite bring them up to $1000. Folks who will spend $700 on a gun w/o a box are more likely to be shooters, vs collectors. Many of us collectors want complete packages in display LNIB condition. And for a few of us, the price isn't quite that bad, but it's about available funds at this time. Holidays & all do drain things, and we have to put our own "wants & needs" aside. BTW, I haven't forgotten our PM's! :D
Just my observations on good collectables right now. I've seen several come up for sale, yet not bring the $$ they did a few years ago. Economy, and a lot of collectors already have examples.

krw

Blackhawk
There was a BKH45X at the Wanenmacher gun show that was walked around upstairs Fri and Sat and did not sell for $900. I passed on it twice. Did not see it Sun so it might have sold? When you got a couple put up in shipping sleeve I don't really want another unless I can make a buck and didn't feel like I could. krw

$1000 is $300 more than $700.

To many of us, that's a deal-breaker, no matter how much we'd LIKE to have the nice, complete package.

In defense of this particular gun, it IS a convertible, and thus justifies a higher price than a non-convert. Not everybody cares about this, of course.

JMHO

:)

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I think Contender has hit the nail...

Bad economy, whether one has the funds or not, makes it tougher to sell "unnecessary" items. I've struggled to sell a few pieces that would have been snapped up a few years ago.

same here, sold mine two weeks ago and got less than $1000 for , and it was "mint" BKH45X....still have other boxed guns, and they are LOOKED at ,NOT selling, but they will buy a shooter, or tell you to "keep the box" sell me the gun for less money,,,,works for us,I'll split them up ANY day of the week, more shooters and users out here than collectors anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,gotta buy/shop "the deal" I always tell folks...as I have OFTEN said, I would LOVE to get RENE/Blue book price for ANY of the guns I ever sold................
made more money splitting up the last BKH36X besides, a win-win for all parties involved.................
or trade it off for something you can use, by the time one pays all the shipping , transfer fees, insurances and all, NOT worth the effort....one reason I prefer the shows, face to face, see it, like it, buy it............
I just HATE "surprises"...................

krw

Blackhawk
One thing I noticed at Tulsa this time was someone walk up to the table and want to trade or buy something, then they would walk to the aisle and fire up their smart phone and look it up on GB or some other gun website. But an old man taught me yrs ago, Tell um how you will trade right then. If they walk off and come back then you start all over!

some of those guys keep "in touch" with their buddies back at the table for "advice" or to tell where the location is...see them doing that all the time, ESPECIALLY at Tulsa or any of the BIG gun shows............some of the others are just "scouts" looking for 'stuff,,,,' the bigger dealers use them all the time.............you can really screw them up by 'rotating' your stock, leave a gun on the table for a while, take it off ,put up another ,different one, drives them NUTZ.................

street

Hunter
seeemmiss just be patient! As you said you don't have to sell it now. Just wait on your price. You just have to have the right person come by that's looking for your gun and who has the money and he will pick it up look at it and won't be able to put it down. $1000 is a lot more then $700 and you can sell a lot more gun at $700 then $1000. But you will get the right person to come by and he will jump on it., just be patient. The gun you have is hard to find, It was only made for a year and a half and most were not convertibles. It worth the money and you will get it. I had some early Autos that I was trying to sell, that I carried to gunshows for 3 years. I had a member e-mail me about a certain model and he ended up buying all of them. Just had to find the right person at the right time, (When he had the "DUST" to buy them.)

So just be patient and wait and you will sell them, just takes time. Good luck!!!

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
street said:
seeemmiss just be patient! As you said you don't have to sell it now. Just wait on your price. You just have to have the right person come by that's looking for your gun and who has the money and he will pick it up look at it and won't be able to put it down. $1000 is a lot more then $700 and you can sell a lot more gun at $700 then $1000. But you will get the right person to come by and he will jump on it., just be patient. The gun you have is hard to find, It was only made for a year and a half and most were not convertibles. It worth the money and you will get it. I had some early Autos that I was trying to sell, that I carried to gunshows for 3 years. I had a member e-mail me about a certain model and he ended up buying all of them. Just had to find the right person at the right time, (When he had the "DUST" to buy them.)

So just be patient and wait and you will sell them, just takes time. Good luck!!!

Excellent reply Street!!!
To me the whole key is the fact that you don't have to sell! Like Deer hunting,,,,,, Right place,,Right time!
Best of luck to you on your sale.
Terry

americal

Hunter
BEST answers I have seen on any Question :!: :!: If I were a collector of the big bore guns --that would be a nice price --noticed it had not sold and thought :) man thats a GREAT PACKAGE--wonder ---it should sell and it will just when you don't expect it---seen quite a few boxed guns not sell lately and rugerguys report on people passing up NIB guns the country is in a funk :x and I think I know why :x

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
YES, but it is the collectors who have trashed the used gun market with greedy and silly prices. RADICAL ROD's pal Wilks has/had a name for collectors like this, Gun whores. And he was RIGHT !!! For you to complain now that some sense might have returned to gun prices, is in itself, PRICELESS !!! HA...
I AM A SHOOTER !!! I have all those guns in their original boxes and have shot the crap outta all of 'em. For instance 9000 rounds the first thirteen days of September alone; lots more since. And i have NEVER BUT NEVER EVER heard a shooter whine about the prices of his guns as he enjoyed them for what they really were and still are; COMMON guns.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey that's two of my favorite things in one sentence..... GUNS and WHORES :lol: :lol: :lol: wait how did I get drug into this post....STREET has it right...just gotta wait patiently....not everyone is a serious collector willing to pay the long dollar....what with Rugerguy telling everyone the goiod OHIO DEALS what do you expect....gotta go...see ya RR.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
9000/13=692

You averaged 692 rounds per day for thirteen days?

Who pays for the ammo? You obviously didn't have time to do any reloading.

:roll:

I PAY FOR ALL OF IT, EVERY DANGED ROUND INCLUDING THE 15,000 22LR THAT'LL BE DELIVERED HERE TOMORROW MORNING.
ACTUALLY 9089 to be exact were shot up from 9/1 to 9/13 and it was easy, EASY. Five thousand were 22LR and the other 4089 were center fire cartridges ALL of which I had loaded myself in 38SPL, 44RUSSIAN, 44SPL, 44-40, 45COLT, 38-55 AND I am forgetting something.....a lot of 416REMMAG but not my handloads.....and I am foregetting something for sure....30/30?....35REM?...
We routinely shoot up over 600 every morning we head up into the hills here and some of the brass from September has been reloaded and fired again since then including 1000 44RUSSIAN cartridges.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Ale-8(1) said:
"every morning we head up into the hills"

Ah, you had some help with all that shooting?

Makes a little more sense, maybe.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you accomplishing with all this marathon shooting activity?
I AM NOT EXACTLY SURE WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM HERE BUT OF THE 9089 I BURNED UP EVERY ROUND MYSELF. !!! YOU MAY ASK BOGE QUINN, HE WAS THERE, YOU MAY ASK JEFF QUINN, HE WAS THERE. AND IF YOU WANT I CAN SHOW YOU RECORDS OF EVERY ROUND THROUGH EVERY GUN AND ON WHICH DAYS FROM NUMBER ONE TO NUMBER THIRTEEN.
AND if you do not understand why or what I was " accomplishing " I would say you're beyond the pale as far as being a real shooter is comcerned.
LASTLY....when we go up in the hills my wife is with me and she shoots up about 1/3 of the total rounds expended.
And so it goes.....................................geesh...

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Well that about covers it. Thanks for all the replays. Keep shooting your new in the box guns at 600 plus rounds a day. Only makes mine go up in price. By the way, don't think anyone disputes you on being able to shoot that much Just most folks don't do it. Also, if you shot up "every dang round" don't tell us in the same paragraph that your wife shot 1/3. Just saying.

Thanks again.

no Sir, do not take any "offense" as many inquiring minds just 'wonder why"...wish I had all that free time, and I been 'retired' for the past 9 years and 10 months, and am lucky I get the chores done around here, with my wife working everyday???? then watching the grandsons a few days a week, so it's neat someone can find the time to blast away, every day....go for it, have fun and stay safe ( oh and Radicals friend, "WILKS" said he doesn't use that word in his conversations?????? told me so this afternoon.....)

Getting away from 'seeemmiss' problem, gotta help him sell his gun...... :roll:

krw

Blackhawk
Hey RR, What if He would have put the other words in there to; "Gentleman Jack"! Wouldn't that have made a trio! :lol: