Nice little S&W gunshow find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shep

Single-Sixer
Found this cute little critter at a local gunshow and just couldn`t pass it up.
Mid 70s S&W model 34-1 .22LR. The pics don`t do it justice.
Looks like the original owner fired a couple of boxes of ammo with it and stashed it in the sock drawer.

100_1530-1.jpg

100_1528-1.jpg

Cholo

Staff member
Shep, I have its clone I bought back in the 70's. Sweet! I can't see your pics as they show up as red X's. No matter, great find!

Terry T

Buckeye
Not everyone's 'cup of tea' but a sweet piece in amazing condition.
My version is a stainless Taurus 9 shot with a 3" barrel. Not the same but fills the same niche in my 'shooter' battery. :D
Terry T

Cholo

Staff member
I can see the pics now, damn computer :wink: Mine has the square butt. Taught my 3 kids to shoot with mine. You'll love it!

Shep

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
I can see the pics now, damn computer :wink: Mine has the square butt. Taught my 3 kids to shoot with mine. You'll love it!

I`ve always been fond of the little Kit Guns. I`ve had a model 63 for 30 years, but this is my first model 34.
And I guess i`ve always had a soft spot for high quality rimfires in general. Colts, Rugers, Smiths, Brownings, High Standard, ect.
Below is a pic of the model 63 along with my other Smith .22s. Models 41, 17-4, 18-2, and 617.

100_1487-1.jpg

Shep

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
Not everyone's 'cup of tea' but a sweet piece in amazing condition.
My version is a stainless Taurus 9 shot with a 3" barrel. Not the same but fills the same niche in my 'shooter' battery. :D
Terry T

Nothing at all wrong with the little Taurus 94s. They are nice little shooters.
I picked up a blue Taurus 941 5" 7 or 8 years ago. Same as the 94 except in .22 Mag and 8 shot instead of 9.
It`s not in the same class as the Smith Kit Gun or the Ruger SP101, but for the price tag, the little Taurus .22s are pretty decent revolvers.

100_0994-1.jpg

Terry T

Buckeye
The 3" and the 5" have been dropped from the Taurus line so.....some day they may also be 'collectable'! :shock:
In the mean time, they are great little shooters. :D
Terry T

Jim Walsh

Bearcat
I stopped in a gun shop and spotted a stainless kit gun in the early eighties. It was a WMR but I realized I couldn't live without it. I traded a single-six for it and fifty bucks cash. Just so everyone doesn't think I'm nuts my single six had a bulged barrell. It was not discerable to the eye but you could feel it if you ran your fingers down th barrell. Used to do a lot of plinking at bullfrogs in the swamps back then and I must have gotten some mud in the muzzle once too often. I figured I pulled a fast one on a horse trader. I still have a safe full of Rugers including two single -sixes so don't anyone feel sorry for me.

Shep

Single-Sixer
Jim Walsh said:
I stopped in a gun shop and spotted a stainless kit gun in the early eighties. It was a WMR but I realized I couldn't live without it. I traded a single-six for it and fifty bucks cash. Just so everyone doesn't think I'm nuts my single six had a bulged barrell. It was not discerable to the eye but you could feel it if you ran your fingers down th barrell. Used to do a lot of plinking at bullfrogs in the swamps back then and I must have gotten some mud in the muzzle once too often. I figured I pulled a fast one on a horse trader. I still have a safe full of Rugers including two single -sixes so don't anyone feel sorry for me.

Don`t feel a bit sorry for you regardless. Take a look at what the model 651s are selling for these days. I assume your Kit Gun is a 651. (.22 Mag, adjustable sights) If fixed sights it would be a model 650. And if anything, they tend to bring more than the 63s and 651s do.

Jim Walsh

Bearcat
I also have a .32 S&W Long snubnose. I don't know the model number but they were known as "hand ejectors". It's a beauty. I'm partial to revolvers. My everyday carry is a .38 Special Colt Cobra. Nothing is as reliable as a quality wheelgun.
My Model 651 does have the adjustable sights. The front ramp has an orange insert which has lost most of its color.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Jim Walsh said:
I also have a .32 S&W Long snubnose. I don't know the model number but they were known as "hand ejectors". It's a beauty. I'm partial to revolvers.

It's what became the Mod 30 (if rd butt) or 31 (if sq butt) in 1957 on the I frame then in 1961 became a J frame. I'm just not too partial to those .22s, .32s & .38s myself:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Shep

Single-Sixer
The little M Frame Lady Smith looks interesting.
Which variation is it?

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
I can't quite see that well to see the switch on the hammer, but I thnk the Jet is the heavier barrel with the shroud 1/2 way up on the right.

And the 44-40 lowest on the left.

The Jet is above the nickel 41...you are correct on the 44-40.
Can you spot the 32 magnum?