RSS4X rarity and worth ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I agree - a very fair price. Just a note of caution as some of these don't "letter" as RSS4X. If you can check Ruger records with the serial number and it checks out it seems a good deal in that condition.

get it lettered, have seen too many that were 'shortened' over the years, yes, even I got 'took" ( if one calls $225 "took") but bottom line it wasnl;t 'right',. just a GOOD price.........

americal

Hunter
BUY IT :!: I think only about 800 produced,I paid so much for this 173XXX it's :oops: ing--just had to have it --500.00 in a second esp. a 90% gun or more.
re11-1.jpg

street

Hunter
HAWKEYE#28 said:
Those RSS4 boxes are TOUGH to find........... :roll: :shock: .

Yes they are!!! And he needs the one that is made for the RSS4 not the later ones that were 5 1/2 in. boxes with the white sticker with the Cat number RSS4, covering up the RSS5 information. As SPLITZ said those RSS4 boxes are tough to find but those early boxes made for the RSS4 are a lot harder to find then the ones with the white stick on label.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I think..Somewhere in the lair of "where the h**L did I put it", there is a RSS5 sized box with a RSS4 (normal) factory label...........Looks "real" and not a made-up box.........Perhaps i need to dig it out and look it over, again. Came from Leo Shuck's son, known as The PanMan......... 8)
OK! Found it......Is in a normal RSS5 shipper I found from Jim Plunkett' sale...The two pc. box is factory labeled and constructed , but is a RSS5 box size, labeled RSS4. (Normal red box end label, not a white overlay type) Only one i have ever seen..........."Early box, first order, first run with a material processing change to a smaller box which was less expensive?" Per WBR's style for saving money? Dunno......... 8)

I believe all the RSS4 boxes are the same size length... as the RSS5 boxes. Both the actual labeled boxes or the white sticker boxes.

Mike are you saying there is a shorter RSS4 box? I remember the Plunkett auction as I got some nice stuff from there too.

GW

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Well..............Perhaps you are correct, Gary. Long ago, I came upon a RSS4 and it's box, which was shorter in length than the RSS5 box. The gun was missing it's pin that secures the firing pin holder etc, on the top left rear of the frame. The seller asked too much money for the package and I passed on it. I recall that he wanted 240 dollars and this was 1970........The missing retainer pin made me think the gun had been disasssembled for some reason, and the price was twice what a RSS5 was going for.........The package must have ledft me impressed, as i recall it vividly to this day..............Perhaps all the boxes were the same size, except for the first batch........... 8)Funny how a man always recalls the one that "got away" or slipped from his grasp.........."They are still out there", and "You can't have 'em all" seems so confoundingly true..... :wink: