Hey ALE 8 this may interest you..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

radicalrod

Hunter
Picked up some old stuff at the show today and look at this letter...... :lol: :lol: :lol: .......what do ya think.......words from the MAN himself..... RR

Just for Rugerguys benefit I do know that this is H. W. "Bill" Ross NOT the "Bill" in WBR as has been been alluded too in another post.....

PA150667.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
Well I guess a letter from Mr Ross about the variation of 357's named after him really doesn't interest anyone except ME :lol: :lol: :lol: RR.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
No! No! Radical,,,,,I think its a great peice of history!!! as a matter of fact its the only letter on his own stationary that I have ever seen a picture of,
and it would really set off a display with a "Ross Gun".

With todays electronic age,,,,letters such as that will be a thing of the past,,,,SAD,,,but progress march's on.

Nice Find!!
Terry

Yep, 15273 shows up on Bob'sList as shipped in June of 1956, just as indicated in that letter. Me suspects Bob has known about that for quite a while.

Apparently it took Roland almost a year to check into it with TheFactory.

It's interesting that Bill is already discussing these unusual guns in late 1977. He mentions them several times in his 1979 "Blacksmith Guide to Ruger Flattops & Super Blackhawks" which was published in 1982.

Thanks for sharing those letters.

Well . . . yeah . . . sorta.

We have 4945 which was last heard of from the left coast, having been converted to .44 Special by Alan Harton.

Then we THOUGHT we had 5460 but now we're not sure because there was some confusion involved.

We have both of the "matching" ROSS guns.

Still a wide open collecting field. Dougan shows quite a number of "matches" in the supplement to his big book. I'm certain they are out there. You may recall the lengthy discussion that we had a couple of years ago . . .

;)

radicalrod

Hunter
OK are Johns numbers actual sightings or numbers transcribed from records.....seems funny that with 700 guns in this range only 2 maybe might be's are on the sighted list.....lots of 14xxx and 15xxx guns are on the sighted list I bet :lol: :lol: :lol: RR

I understand that John has (had?) access to many records we'll never see.

But I still believe they are out there. Bob'sList has 70 ROSS guns and 40 four-digit guns in the "ROSS range".