Single-Sixer
Picked up a nice little S&W 15-3 today.

100_1476-1.jpg

100_1478-1.jpg

The rest of the Smith family

100_1459-1.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Nice gun and great grips! I'd say the grips are of no later than late '60s or early '70s manufacture.

Shep

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
Nice gun and great grips! I'd say the grips are of no later than late '60s or early '70s manufacture.

The serial number dates the gun to 1970. I think the grips are vintage S&W smooth target, but don`t think they are original to the gun. When new I`m pretty sure it would have worn standard magnas.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Shep said:
Snake45 said:

The serial number dates the gun to 1970. I think the grips are vintage S&W smooth target, but don`t think they are original to the gun. When new I`m pretty sure it would have worn standard magnas.
Standard Magnas would have been "standard," but it could have been ordered from the factory with Target grips, either checkered or smooth.

You are almost certainly correct about them being "aftermarket," but if so, I'd say they're contemporary to the gun. They certainly weren't made in the late '70s or later.

Shep

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
Shep said:
Snake45 said:

Standard Magnas would have been "standard," but it could have been ordered from the factory with Target grips, either checkered or smooth.

You are almost certainly correct about them being "aftermarket," but if so, I'd say they're contemporary to the gun. They certainly weren't made in the late '70s or later.

Took it out in the back yard and fired a few rounds with it a while ago.
Regardless if those grips are original or not, I love em.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Shep said:
Me too. If they were mine, I'd strip off the rest of that flaking original finish (lacquer?) and put a nice, warm, subdued oil finish on them. :wink:

Shep

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
Shep said:
Me too. If they were mine, I'd strip off the rest of that flaking original finish (lacquer?) and put a nice, warm, subdued oil finish on them. :wink:

The finish isn`t really flaking. Just looks that way in the pic because it got a little gun oil on it when I wiped it down.

Shep

Single-Sixer
americal said:
I'll take the one in the bottom right corner 8)

It`s a model 17-4.
Only way anyone is getting that one is at my estate auction. :)

Snake45

Hawkeye
Shep said:
Snake45 said:
Shep said:

The finish isn`t really flaking. Just looks that way in the pic because it got a little gun oil on it when I wiped it down.
Looks like it's flaking in the ejection cutout area. Seen that same thing many times on my own grips.

I've re-cut the checkering on some very worn old S&W target grips and refinished them and they came out beautiful. :wink:

Shep

Single-Sixer
HAWKEYE#28 said:
SILVER OR BLUE COLORED RETAINING WASHERS ON THE BACK OF THE S&W GRIP EMBLEMS? WILL GIVE AN IDEA OF AGE OF THE PANELS. ALSO, DO THEY HAVE A MATCHING GRAIN WHEN TIPPED UPSIDE DOWN? 8)

Blue washers. And no, the grain doesn`t match very well.

Shep

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
Shep said:
Snake45 said:

Looks like it's flaking in the ejection cutout area. Seen that same thing many times on my own grips.

I've re-cut the checkering on some very worn old S&W target grips and refinished them and they came out beautiful. :wink:

Just a trick of the light reflecting off some dabs of gun oil.

Shep

Single-Sixer
Doc44 said:
Nice assortment of S&Ws.

Bill :D

Bill,

Nice of you to say that. But I`ve seen some of your stuff over on the Smith forum. I expect your collection makes mine look pathetic.

Mike