limited production #1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

c.robertson

Bearcat
Up for sale at a local auction at Adrain Optimist Club in Missouri is a Ruger #! advertised as number 82 or 100. It has a half round / half octgaon barrel that appears to be 30 inches long and either in the white or stainless. an a-typical forearm, scope blocks, and no sights. No mention of chambering.
Did Ruger EVER make such a critter?

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I'd bet dollars to donuts that it is one the 100 ASSRA actions that were produced for that organization back in the early 1980s.
So, the action only is one of 100 and it should have the ASSRA stamp on the receiver bottom as well. Of course, the barrel and wood are aftermarket, non-Ruger additions.
Lance

chet15

Hawkeye
Weren't those actions a consective run of 100 serial numbers as well? That sn range would also help to confirm.
Chet15

c.robertson

Bearcat
Well, if I knew how I would post a photo of the Ruger #1 number 87 of 100 produced by Ruger. But that probably would not really show enough to make any judgment on.
Really hate to cancel going to the LAST Pioneer Gun Club cast bullet match AND the open house with Savage, Nikon, & Hornady in attendance displaying their wares with free shooting.

Try to check out www.auctionzip.com/ and look for Clayton & Clines Auction Service absolute gun auction of Rolland "Buddy" Sombart Estate. The Ruger #1 is item number 39.

Try not to drool over the other listings, it would damage your keyboard.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
55 miles south of KC..Lots of competition down there. There are some three screw Rugers and a boxed BP. Maybe worth a drive for you mid country Stalwarts........I will remain here in the NNW's 8) The subject rifle looks unfinished and a custom item :wink:

chet15

Hawkeye
c.robertson said:
Well, if I knew how I would post a photo of the Ruger #1 number 87 of 100 produced by Ruger. But that probably would not really show enough to make any judgment on.
Really hate to cancel going to the LAST Pioneer Gun Club cast bullet match AND the open house with Savage, Nikon, & Hornady in attendance displaying their wares with free shooting.

Try to check out www.auctionzip.com/ and look for Clayton & Clines Auction Service absolute gun auction of Rolland "Buddy" Sombart Estate. The Ruger #1 is item number 39.

Try not to drool over the other listings, it would damage your keyboard.

Send me an PM of what the markings look like on that action if you can. I should probably get something on that in the reference so future questions like this can be taken care of, as to what the action looks like etc. Since these were sold as "Action Only", Ruger's Southport address should be rollmarked on the bottom of the receiver also.
Chad

c.robertson

Bearcat
Photo on auction site sucks. All you could tell is that it IS a Ruger #1 action with a half round / half octogon barrel that, based on my Lyman Centennial, appears to be about 30 inches long. It is a right side view, that is pointed to right. Appears to NOT have a forearm.

c.robertson

Bearcat
IF it is in fact an ASSRA Ruger #1, about what should one expect it to sell for at auction? Or be worth?
I would bet a dollar to a dime that the barrel on it is a Badger Barrel, just judging by the configuration. It looks exaxtly like the barrel on my Browning Creedmoore High Wall .45-90.
The late Mr. Sombart was an astute collector / shooter and had no 'junk' in his collection.

c.robertson

Bearcat
Late follow-up.

The ASSRA Ruger #1 has a Douglass XX barrel, and it is number 82 of 100. I purchased it for $495.00 total. In 32-40 Win. no forarm. just now getting set up to reload, have not worked with it yet. Mounted a 2" unertl on it.

Bought 500 new winchester brass for $170.00 total, pretty good price, but LOTS of brass for a single shooter.