OM BKH42 Found Today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemydals

Buckeye
While at the range today, one of the fellows in a training class that I was assisting with had a Old Model Blackhawk .41 mag, s/n 3336. What I found interesting is that it was issued to him during his tour of duty in Vietnam. I had asked him if he had bought it new & that is when he said it was issued to him. I've known that military personal in Vietnam carried non traditional military firearms of the period (personal firearms), but being issued a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag doesn't seem possible. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

lmd

deserttrans

Buckeye
I was with the USMC 68-69-70. Seen personal 357 Blackhawks and a Rat in our platoon had a RST4. I would say that a official issue Blackhawk did not happen. JMHO

contender

Ruger Guru
I once asked a very senior (and knowledgable) official at Ruger about any military contracts on any Single-Actions. I was told, "No."
However, your friend most likely had a unit armorer who had one and he was able to "issue" it to him as it wasn't something standard, and the armorer wanted rid of it.

flattop44

Buckeye
Hope he had a good supply of cartridges issued with it, sure would have been hard to find any .41 Mag. ammo in Nam!!
FT44

radicalrod

Hunter
OK I don't want to be picky but isn't a BN42 a NM not an OM.....should read BKH42 with that serial number.....I am easily confused so please excuse me if I am off base :lol: :lol: :lol: I bought a Light Weight Single Six from a guy that took it to NAM with him.....still had the beat up old box and everything :D :D :D see ya RR.

lovemydals

Buckeye
RR,

Good catch! Oops! :oops: I was so focused on remembering the s/n, that I didn't even think to verify the model number before submitting the post. It was several hours after leaving the range before posting & I had not written down the s/n while at the range. It's Ok to continue to be easily confused (though I doubt you are easily confused). But, no need to worry about being off base. :lol: I appreciate any opportunity to learn something new. Thanks!

lmd

PS. Just for the record, I never questioned the owner of this Blackhawk on how he obtained it. My post was to obtain more information on this topic & hear what others might think or know. Thanks everyone for your comments!

PSS. I corrected the subject line to reflect the correct model number.

41 nut

Bearcat
If it was an official military issue revolver it would have an inspectors initials stamped on it and be marked US Property. Most likely was one someone smuggled over with them and didn't dare try to smuggle back home so he left it with the unit armor. There were plenty of personally owned firearms in country when I was there in 69 to 70. Ammo would be the biggest problem with owning a 41mag there.

americal

Hunter
A while ago I posted about a sniper who came out on a re-supply chopper to my company he was carrying a 357 protected sight BlackHawk it was his personal gun--we talked, it looked weird over there HA!!! I had a early SC6 at home.

chet15

Hawkeye
There were a lot of Ruger's over there taken as personal weapons. We have a 31xxx range BKH-34 .357 flattop that spent time over there as well.
Chet15

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I spent a year tramping the Central Highlands with the 173rd Airborne never saw a Ruger just a few private handguns ...Colt, Smith and Remington. Usually they were 45 ACP's
Charlie